Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I want to put a costume air intake on my atv however Im trying to find the best way to do it. should i :
1.keep the air box and try to put the costume filter in it to prevent it from getting muddy.(gut the tunnel going up to handle bars)
2.gut everything and just put the air filter on the carb.
3. fabricate an air box for the filter from the carb
4.put the filter up where the original intake is by handle bars.

Im trying to get the best solution for horsepower

·
Registered
966 Posts
I would say try to make an aluminum air box that works like a 400ex airbox, lid and everything. If you don't want to do that, run a straight air filter with maybe a plate directly under it to block dust from getting to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mojaveracer2001...or anyone with info...,

If i connect the air filter straight on the carb wont some gas drip into it..and isn't that the reason air boxes have drain holes on them. If so is that leak that big of an issue?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've never really heard of gas dripping onto the filter, and I'm sure it doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
721 Posts
No gas should make it to the filter unless things are operating incorrectly. Airboxes have drains to let water out. The best thing for horsepower is a clamp on filter right on the carb. It has the least possible restriction of any setup. A shield isn't really necessary (nor helpful) for dust...that's what the filter is already designed for. A shield may be helpful however for spray from the front tires. The biggest problem with a clamp on is water/mud spray. It won't make it through the filter, but a big spray can cover enough of the outside of the filter to cause it to suffocate for a second or two until gravity pulls it off. Obviously a clamp on is no good if you plan on going through deep water either.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The best solution for horsepower would be to bore it out to put a bigger piston in it, cams, valves, bigger carb, etc... It really depends on how much cash you want to put in it. What do you plan on doing with it? You can buy bolt on stuff all day long but you will never get the results that you would from motor work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i don't plan on making dramatic motor changes, just outside mods to help the power..i might put bigger jets in later on once i get the money. I'll build a shield cuz of mud spray but a filter cover should work for the heavy dust.

Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts