Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening i went riding with a close girl friend (18) and her younger brother (8). The brother sat in front of me (i was the driver), and she sat behind me. We went with two other bikes of people.

The whole evening we're doing easy trail rides, just having fun, listening to music. Then as we're getting ready to pack up and head out, i'm facing the back left end of my friend's F250 (try to picture it...) I start moving (in 2WD), and turn the handlebars to the right. I realize now, that the kid had his knees up, and his right knee hit the throttle. It took all of about 1 second for the bike to jump 10 feet forward, hit the back left quarter panel, and climbed up the side of the truck. This all happened before i could even find the kill switch. Not only that, but if you see the picture, the bike climbed up the BACK LEFT side of the truck, and i guess the wheels were still spinning, because it moved from the back left of the truck around to the back side.

Picture explains the outcome.

About a dozen people from all around came running (this was close to the off-road park office), and several said they'd never seen anything like this happen before.

Thank God the bike didn't flip over. I owe it to that back rack, which saved me, and more importantly, my two younger passengers, severe injuries or worse. Thankfully, we all got up and walked away without a scratch or bruise.

The bike has a badly dented left bumper, and the plastic piece that covers the bumper is ripped up. Other than that it started right back up (of course i didn't ride it, i loaded it on the truck, cleaned it off, and took it home). One thing i notice, is that the front left wheel (which is the one that climbed up the truck) is leaning inward just a little. Everyone else said it looks fine, but i can tell that the top part is a little closer to the body of the bike than the left, you know? Like the camber is off. It still turns just fine, and it's not loose (tried shaking it), so what do you think it could be? The brake lines, A-Arms, etc. look to be just fine.

The truck's back left quarter panel is destroyed. You can't see in the picture, but the bottom part, right behind the wheel, is shoved back a good 8-10". The back bumper is bent down, the tow hitch electronics are hanging loose, the back left light is shattered. If anyone has any idea about how much i'm looking at in damages, please let me know. I'm estimating $4000, but I have no idea. The owner (a friend of mine) is going to take it to get a few quotes this weekend.

I'm just thankful that at the end of the day we walked away. If that bike had tipped back on us, i don't even want to think what would have happened.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Hard to blame that one on the quad. Its hard enough.to react when you're on the quad by yourself, you were pan caked in between two passengers. Glad everyone is ok

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
wow glad your all right..but why would you have 3 people on there?that just has disaster writen all over it. atleased everyone is ok and your not the first

·
Registered
375 Posts
This evening i went riding with a close girl friend (18) and her younger brother (8). The brother sat in front of me (i was the driver), and she sat behind me. We went with two other bikes of people.

The whole evening we're doing easy trail rides, just having fun, listening to music. Then as we're getting ready to pack up and head out, i'm facing the back left end of my friend's F250 (try to picture it...) I start moving (in 2WD), and turn the handlebars to the right. I realize now, that the kid had his knees up, and his right knee hit the throttle. It took all of about 1 second for the bike to jump 10 feet forward, hit the back left quarter panel, and climbed up the side of the truck. This all happened before i could even find the kill switch. Not only that, but if you see the picture, the bike climbed up the BACK LEFT side of the truck, and i guess the wheels were still spinning, because it moved from the back left of the truck around to the back side.

Picture explains the outcome.

About a dozen people from all around came running (this was close to the off-road park office), and several said they'd never seen anything like this happen before.

Thank God the bike didn't flip over. I owe it to that back rack, which saved me, and more importantly, my two younger passengers, severe injuries or worse. Thankfully, we all got up and walked away without a scratch or bruise.

The bike has a badly dented left bumper, and the plastic piece that covers the bumper is ripped up. Other than that it started right back up (of course i didn't ride it, i loaded it on the truck, cleaned it off, and took it home). One thing i notice, is that the front left wheel (which is the one that climbed up the truck) is leaning inward just a little. Everyone else said it looks fine, but i can tell that the top part is a little closer to the body of the bike than the left, you know? Like the camber is off. It still turns just fine, and it's not loose (tried shaking it), so what do you think it could be? The brake lines, A-Arms, etc. look to be just fine.

The truck's back left quarter panel is destroyed. You can't see in the picture, but the bottom part, right behind the wheel, is shoved back a good 8-10". The back bumper is bent down, the tow hitch electronics are hanging loose, the back left light is shattered. If anyone has any idea about how much i'm looking at in damages, please let me know. I'm estimating $4000, but I have no idea. The owner (a friend of mine) is going to take it to get a few quotes this weekend.

I'm just thankful that at the end of the day we walked away. If that bike had tipped back on us, i don't even want to think what would have happened.
Glad to hear everyone's ok. Like you said, could've been a lot worse. But...don't blame the quad. It's clear that you are to blame for ignoring the inherant safety factor. Shame on you. Sorry to be so blunt, and again glad all's ok, but place blame where it should be.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
the worst times i have had on my atvs have been no fault of the machine, but like your story, not respecting the machine. if you are going to ride passangers do not ever put them between you and the controls, i have some freinds with some mean a-s kids that would reach up and hit the gas just to see a crash, an laught about it.anway know you feel bad enough without all this selfrightious b/s coming your way. so what about the brute yr. mod, mi., hrs., price

·
Registered
28 Posts
stop beating around the bush!

dumbass! people like you ruin the sport for the rest of us! ever wonder why lawyers impose such restrictions on the manufacturers? luckily, you didn't have one of my kids on the quad, the damage would have been worse!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very lucky that no one is hurt, but hey we all make mistakes and you are very fortunate no one was seriously hurt, i understand where you are coming front as the same thing happen too me, i was riding my popo with my daughter in front, we were on a trail, when we came upon a sharp turn her knee hit the throttle and we ripped of the trail and hit a tree dead on, and the bike jumped straight up, luckily i had enough time to gently carrie her off the bike and throw her into the sand, as for me i felt back on my back as the bike landed on me, lucky my bro and friends werent far behind too help me up. Not once did I blame the quad, it was my fault for ignoring safety. I was also a begineer rider, we take for granted how much power this quads have, and yes can be deadly if being irresponsible. So everytime i see people on the trail riding someone up front, i give them hell, may save a life or keep someone from being hurt,now with that being said, lets go play in some mud!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
To everyone that told me to blame myself and not the quad, i ask you to please point out where i blamed the quad for any of this. i thought it was fairly obvious that i was to blame.

i'm getting rid of it not becuase it's a "bad bike", but because i can't risk this happening again. my fault, not the bike's.

2007 brute force 750 camo. 180 hours, 750 miles. nothing wrong with it but the bumper and the wheel leaning a bit (i'll take care of both). has dynatek, 4000lb winch, and brand new radio with 2 speakers. asking $5600. purchased a few months ago for more than that, and without the winch, speakers, etc.

To everyone that said i was a fool for taking 3 people with me, especially a kid - it was the kid's dad and sister that asked me to. was just trying to be nice, but like you said, should've known better. i spent the entire night driving slow and avoiding obstacles that the rest of our group was climbing over and up and down. and then at the end of the night, this happened. still, i can't look at the bike without thinking of this, and what might have happened. if i ever do get a bike again, it's going to be a little honda 400 or something, that will hit the truck and stop, instead of mauling up it like the BF.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
never thought it would happen to me. the people i was with that night, i've seen them flip, etc. a dozen tims, but i'm always the responsible one... the one that lags in the back and that they always have to wait up for, and the one that says "i wouldn't do that guys, that looks too steep, angled, deep, etc." i'm not a bad guy, really i'm not. i'm responsible - i don't drink and drive ATVs when everyone else does. i respect the machine, as i know how dangerous it can be. that's why i was the one that ended up with the 8yr old.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dont be too hard on yourself mystical, it was an honest mistake, you werent drunk out of your mind or anything, stuff happens, and they were not even your kids, imagine how i felt with my daughter when we slammed into the tree, it took me a while before i got back on a bike, thinking about the what if's and still so lucky too be here. I ended up selling the popo 500 and got my new 2010 brute 750. Point being just give it some time to simmer in before you go on selling the bike.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Glad it was not any more serious...
I bet the frame is bent where the upper A-arm bolts to it... THe mounting tabs are kinda weak and will bend inward pretty easy.... Should be a pretty easy fix though.

·
Registered
375 Posts
never thought it would happen to me. the people i was with that night, i've seen them flip, etc. a dozen tims, but i'm always the responsible one... the one that lags in the back and that they always have to wait up for, and the one that says "i wouldn't do that guys, that looks too steep, angled, deep, etc." i'm not a bad guy, really i'm not. i'm responsible - i don't drink and drive ATVs when everyone else does. i respect the machine, as i know how dangerous it can be. that's why i was the one that ended up with the 8yr old.
No one is saying you're a bad guy, and we're sure you're not. Just made a bad decision. Lesson learned like shotgun said. We've all been there...:(

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Keep the quad and don't ever put a passenger between you and the controls again. Problem solved and you can continue to ride.

Or buy a Honda and you can carry 6 passengers with it to the grip. :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with most of the posters...just let it be a lesson learned. I am sure the ones ripping this situation have NEVER had an accident:hmm::wacko:

I was involved in an accident years back and it was totally the other drivers fault for crossing center line in the apex of a corner. Non-the-less it ruined my attitude for awhile. You will be able to move on and hopefully it doesn't ruin your passion for riding.

Also, just a heads up, if you ever HAVE to ride someone two-up because they needed a lift somewhere...ie. broke down or whatever...put it neutral before they get off...inexperienced riders often times hike their leg over the seat to get off and inadvertently hit the throttle with their foot.;)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I have a frame if you need one. I'll sale it cheap. Glad your all okay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's good to hear that you and everyone else is ok. Don't worry to much about the serious finger pointers cause we all make mistakes and i'm sure you are beating yourself up enough as it is. How many people on this site or anywhere for that matter, actually listen to the warnings on the quads or in the owners manuals. I know I don't, and on a regular basis just by the stuff I haul with it.

Unless you are dead set on it I wouldn't sell the bike cause you will regret it. Just give it some time like said and, keep on keepin on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts