Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start looking at getting new tires. Been happy with the Viprs, but they keep getting more expensive and harder to get. The other tires I like are Black Diamond XTR's, but it looks like they are discontinued.
So I have been looking at completely new tires. Found a set of CST Anclas for less than $100 a tire. They're bias ply tires, but I don't think that's a bad thing for a lot of the riding I do.
Also see they make a radial that's pretty good looking and not too bad a price called the Behemoth.
Also been looking at the EFX Motoclaws. They're even more expensive than the Viprs, but are pretty interesting. Also interesting is the fact that they only make one size for ATVs, and they are the only ones in the lineup that aren't radials. But they are more money than any radial I've seen.馃槸

Anyhow, wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these tires at all? I've never seen the CSTs on anything, and only seen the Motoclaws on SxS's.

Registered
I鈥檓 on my 2nd set of Grim Reapers. I had 25鈥檚 on my Hipers and recently moved up to 26鈥檚. The 25鈥檚 still have 85% tread left after 3 years of riding and I handed them down to my FIL for his Yammie as he鈥檚 been riding on Mud Bugs for over 10 years (those damn tires are indestructible but not the best ride quality...they were on the bike when he bought it from his sister). GR鈥檚 are a fantastic trail tire and not as heavy as some of the ones you mentioned. 8 ply radial and tough as nails. I mostly trail ride and rock crawl. Just something else to consider.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I鈥檓 on my 2nd set of Grim Reapers. I had 25鈥檚 on my Hipers and recently moved up to 26鈥檚. The 25鈥檚 still have 85% tread left after 3 years of riding and I handed them down to my FIL for his Yammie as he鈥檚 been riding on Mud Bugs for over 10 years (those damn tires are indestructible but not the best ride quality...they were on the bike when he bought it from his sister). GR鈥檚 are a fantastic trail tire and not as heavy as some of the ones you mentioned. 8 ply radial and tough as nails. I mostly trail ride and rock crawl. Just something else to consider.
I've looked at Grim Reapers a lot over the years. Even got to ride a Rincon with them once. I don't know if it was the machine or the tires, but it felt like it wanted to washout in the corners too easy. Since the Rincon's only real claim to fame is it's handling, I assumed it was the tires.
Looking at them, the tread design doesn't look like it puts a lot of tread on the ground compared to others.

How do they handle for you? How many tires have you bought to compare them to?
How many miles do you get out of them?

Registered
I can鈥檛 really comment on mileage because I don鈥檛 put nearly the amount of miles on my machines that you do. I have Mud Lite XTR鈥檚 on the wife鈥檚 P650 and they are a surprisingly good tire also but definitely don鈥檛 handle aggressive trail riding like the GR鈥檚. The other tires I鈥檝e run in the past were AT589鈥檚 on that same P650 (not a bad do-all tire but nothing to brag about), Duro鈥檚 (no comment), and plain old Mud Lites that I had on the old Honda TRX300FW that i resto鈥檇 many year鈥檚 ago.

I love the GR鈥檚 for how I ride. They are stable on the wet-leaf covered woods trails that we mostly ride. The tread-wrap onto the sidewall is awesome for rock-crawling (Uwharrie National Forest and Brown Mountain, look them up though probably no comparison to what you guys out west ride). I can push speed in the straight areas and they bite really well when braking into turns and track well through turns.

I鈥檒l say the one area that I dislike them is loose sandy areas. A lot of our trails cut across or around ag fields here in NC and the trails closest to home are either red clay, dark rich soil, or damn-near beach sand. The tires just don鈥檛 track well for me in sand though it鈥檚 not to the point of losing control or spinning out...just kind of that shaky twitchy type of steering response. And I鈥檝e never really rode those sandy areas at speed over 20mph or so (usually riding those easy trails with the kids) so maybe it stabilizes a bit more with some speed. In all fairness to the GR鈥檚, I haven鈥檛 been on a bike in that sand that acted any differently with any tires, except the Holeshot knock-offs on the youngest kid鈥檚 Bayou 220. That thing is a rocket on the sand.

Hope that helps. They鈥檒l either work great for where/how you ride, or they鈥檒l suck. Not much in between.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I can鈥檛 really comment on mileage because I don鈥檛 put nearly the amount of miles on my machines that you do. I have Mud Lite XTR鈥檚 on the wife鈥檚 P650 and they are a surprisingly good tire also but definitely don鈥檛 handle aggressive trail riding like the GR鈥檚. The other tires I鈥檝e run in the past were AT589鈥檚 on that same P650 (not a bad do-all tire but nothing to brag about), Duro鈥檚 (no comment), and plain old Mud Lites that I had on the old Honda TRX300FW that i resto鈥檇 many year鈥檚 ago.

I love the GR鈥檚 for how I ride. They are stable on the wet-leaf covered woods trails that we mostly ride. The tread-wrap onto the sidewall is awesome for rock-crawling (Uwharrie National Forest and Brown Mountain, look them up though probably no comparison to what you guys out west ride). I can push speed in the straight areas and they bite really well when braking into turns and track well through turns.

I鈥檒l say the one area that I dislike them is loose sandy areas. A lot of our trails cut across or around ag fields here in NC and the trails closest to home are either red clay, dark rich soil, or damn-near beach sand. The tires just don鈥檛 track well for me in sand though it鈥檚 not to the point of losing control or spinning out...just kind of that shaky twitchy type of steering response. And I鈥檝e never really rode those sandy areas at speed over 20mph or so (usually riding those easy trails with the kids) so maybe it stabilizes a bit more with some speed. In all fairness to the GR鈥檚, I haven鈥檛 been on a bike in that sand that acted any differently with any tires, except the Holeshot knock-offs on the youngest kid鈥檚 Bayou 220. That thing is a rocket on the sand.

Hope that helps. They鈥檒l either work great for where/how you ride, or they鈥檒l suck. Not much in between.
Interesting. I ride sandy trails 1/2 of the year, so that's some good info. Thanks.
I've got some time to keep looking and thinking about it.

Registered
I had Grim Reapers on a Polaris and loved them.
It was in the winter and I only put about 200 miles on them before moving on to the next set.

I'm due for new tires too and have no idea what I'll end up with.
I actually got 3000 miles out of my current Carlisle ACTs. I'm shocked. :LOL:
I wouldn't mind another set. They are decent and don't weigh much.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I had Grim Reapers on a Polaris and loved them.
It was in the winter and I only put about 200 miles on them before moving on to the next set.

I'm due for new tires too and have no idea what I'll end up with.
I actually got 3000 miles out of my current Carlisle ACTs. I'm shocked. :LOL:
I wouldn't mind another set. They are decent and don't weigh much.
Yeah, whatever I get has to be good in the snow as well.
So many choices now! Back in the day, you just had trail tires and sand tires, and all of them were bias ply and 10" wheel size. Lol.馃お

Reactions: rubiranch

Registered
I'm running the Interco Swamp Lites on my Brute. Love them so far. Pretty good all around tire IMO. Did quite a bit of snow riding this spring and they worked great. They hook up extremely well on the hard pack but you can still drift a corner with some aggressive throttle. Haven't used them in the mud a lot as I'm not a huge mud fan.

Had some Titan 589's on my old 650 and they were a decent all around tire. My favorite by far was the Kenda Executioners. Tougher than boiled bad crap. Couldn't wear them out. Great mud tire. Good in the snow but once you start to dig in, you better get off the throttle or you'll be buried in a heartbeat due to the tread pattern. Not great on the hardpack as they are a hard tire, but if you keep them aired down, they work fairly well. I ran 2 PSI in those tires most of the time with no issues. I sold my old 650 to my buddy and after 10 years, he's still got them on there and they still have a ton of tread left. If they would have had them in the size I wanted, they would have been on the Brute.

Reactions: kickstart

Registered
i`m running Tusk Terrabite 8 ply radial good trackion run great on hot top and give a nice ride so far very pleased on my mule 2015 pro fxt le

Registered
I need new summer tires.Something that doesn't weigh a lot.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I need new summer tires.Something that doesn't weigh a lot.
I've thought about getting a set of itp holeshots for a lightweight summer tire, but I always chicken out because I don't know how good they are in sand.

Registered
I might get another set of Carlisle ACTs.
Not the best at anything but decent at everything.

Registered
I might get another set of Carlisle ACTs.
Not the best at anything but decent at everything.
I have 26鈥 ACT鈥檚 on our P360, which is my hunting bike/oldest kid鈥檚 bike. It鈥檚 a solid tire....don鈥檛 love them but certainly don鈥檛 dislike them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts