Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ran over 290 miles in 3 days. On one leg of 58 miles, there was less than 1 diamond of oil missing on the dipstick. Then another 120 mile leg had it down to 3 diamonds low. By the end, I had to add about 12 ounces all together.
So I get home and pull the plugs. No oil on them that I can tell. Check the airbox, its dry. Check the airbox drain hose, it's dry. Check the tailpipe, can't even get a gray smudge on my finger out of it. Check all the seals and inspection windows, no leaks. Check the entire case, chain tensioners, and o rings on the switches...dry. I pull the belt cover to look at the chain cover, dry. I take off the pull start cover, and there's a bit of a weeping going on under that seal, but like a teaspoon worth over god knows how many hours. I check the bulb out of the water pump mechanical seal, and it's got a couple drops, but that's it.
I don't get it. Where in the *@#^ is this oil going?!??!?!
It just disappears into the void.
The two biggest things I hate about Kawasaki are the shitty valve adjustments, and the oil burning. I've fixed the valve issues for sure, but I cannot get a Kawasaki to quit making oil disappear.
If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Here's the plugs:

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
The front plug is ridiculously clean. There is a little oil on the rear one, or it's rich.
It visibly smoked after you installed the new piston, so it's likely still burning some oil. Give it more time.

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front plug is ridiculously clean. There is a little oil on the rear one, or it's rich.
It visibly smoked after you installed the new piston, so it's likely still burning some oil. Give it more time.
I just don't understand how it could be burning oil when the plugs have none of that built up junk on them anymore, and the exhaust tip is clean enough to eat off of.

·
Super Moderator
4,501 Posts
I would put two brand new plugs in it and go....for about 500 miles then check them...watching the dip-stick along the way. If it's loosing oil, there's only two places it can go...:) Besides, those look too good to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
Don't expect a huge buildup if burning a small amount of oil, AND making WOT runs, which burns off some of the deposits.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would put two brand new plugs in it and go....for about 500 miles then check them...watching the dip-stick along the way. If it's loosing oil, there's only two places it can go...:)
That's essentially what I did, except I waited one ride to put a new plug in the front. When I pulled the front plug that had been in there awhile, it looked a lot like the rear in the pic above, but more gray than brown. Now it seems to be white. It's confusing.
And why does it go thru half a diamond on stick one day, then go down one full diamond the next?
I've never seen a vehicle like this before.

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
Give it more time to break in.

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't expect a huge buildup if burning a small amount of oil, AND making WOT runs, which burns off some of the deposits.
I've got two days before hunting season starts. I'd really like to not have to worry about adding oil every day this season. The only thing I could do at this point is either let it be and hope it quits, or I could pop the front head off and put the Kibblewhite valve seals in. What would you do?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
12,567 Posts
I would just keep adding oil.

Reactions: kickstart
1 - 10 of 10 Posts