Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi every one i have a kfx400 it is 2005.
and i need help on what to to do right now
my first question is i don't know if i should get a full system or slip on exhaust? (the pipe that goes from the engine to the exhaust has this orange look to it (rust i think)
my second question is i want an exhaust that say here i am listen to the sound of my atv... so on that note what type of exhaust should i get?

ill add a pic of the atv so you can see the pipe (i cleaned it up after this pic put the pipe from exhaust is still that orange ish shade )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes that orange stuff on the pipe is rust. now there's many things to consitter when you change the exhaust pipe on a bike. First noise, how loud do you want to go trust me I have a power core 4 fmf pipe on my bike and its way to loud for me but it sounds awsome on the roads at wide open. Jetting has to be changed for the added exhaust flow out. standerd rule of thumb is 2 or 3 steps up richer. You should contact the manufacture of the system you want to buy from on how many jet sizes to go up. Last when the noise gose up consiterably so dose the risk of getting a ticket for being to loud so consitter where you ride and live.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Slip ons do not produce the same amount of performance as full systems but the full systems are more expensive....but worth the extra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i live in the middle of nowhere sorta i have people that live near but there not the type to complain.

another thing is i am wondering are there other ways to also increase the performance of my kfx400 and i mean kinda cheap ways to make it run faster and work better ?

and another problem i have is sometimes it stalls when idle or even down shifting gears do you happen do know how to fix this problem

·
Registered
447 Posts
1) Yes there are many things you can do to get more power out of a 400. Exhaust was mentioned, you can get a better intake/filter, and rejet the carb. Another "cheap" mod is changing to a 13T front sprocket. Plenty of potential, but take care of the basic maintenance first.
2) the rust on the head-pipe won't hurt anything unless it's REALLY rusted bad and begins to leak. You can paint it with hi temp header paint, but it won't last. The best bet for both looks and performance is the full exhaust.
3) Your stalling issue. Try adjusting the idle up a little bit. I have this issue on my 05 too and the only thing that seems to fix it is running an aftermarket CDI. I worked on the stock carb, and then upgraded to an FCR, and it still has the low rpm stalling issue when running the stock CDI. If I run my ProCom CDI, it's very hard to start, but it never stalls. (procomm CDI's are junk but that's another story)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice but you explain why the procomm CDI's are junk because i don't want to buy something that was refereed to as junk and if it makes it hard to start

·
Registered
447 Posts
thanks for the advice but you explain why the procomm CDI's are junk because i don't want to buy something that was refereed to as junk and if it makes it hard to start
they have a high failure rate. Lots of people have had them crap out while they were riding, and as I said mine is really hard to start with the ProCom on it, If I plug in the stock CDI, it fires right up every time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts