Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of flushing out my water heater, it is 7 years old. When I first built my house my new well sucked a whole bunch of sand, well alot of it ended up in the bottom of my water heater. Now all of that sand and calcium or whatever is in there needs to come out. In the winter my outdoor boiler heats the water in the water heater and circulates using the drain on the bottom. Well all of that crap in the bottom plugs it up. I have flushed and flushed this thing trying to get it all out. I pulled the anode rod out and it looks to need replacing. I went to menards last night to get one and the guy said just to plug the hole I don't need it. Is this true? or should I get one? I only plan on keeping the water heater until spring then I want a new electric one as I want to get rid of propane all together at my house.

Sorry for the novel but do I need an anode rod or not? Any downfalls for not having one? Someone said something about a rotten egg smell in my water, is this from a bad anode rod or none at all?

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Put one in...it prevents tank corrosion. They are there for a reason and they are cheap

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what he said, anodes stop rust, thats why there on outboard engines just above the prop. also on locks for rivers n streams, locks like on the panama canal not padlocks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
and if u can go tankless, i love mine. my brother in laws a plumber n we got a break on ours. if u do get one get a reem!

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
He plans on getting a electric tank. Electric tankless heaters suck...Nortiz and Rinnia are the leaders in the tankless market and they dont even produce a tankless electric heater cause they are junk. Propane or natural gas is the only kind of tankless heater I would have and yes they are great but expensive.

I am certified in tankless heaters....

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
natural gas... i will never go back to electric..:D

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I do need a electric traditional heater with a tank as half of the year my wood boiler heats the water inside the tank and in the summer I use the propane or electric when I buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unfortunately we don't have natural gas on my road and I am sick of having a propane pig in my yard to use for like 3 or 4 months a year just to heat water. It has taken me over 5 years to use up what was left in my pig when I switched to wood heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts