Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any guys have done heated grips on their Brutes? Looking to see whats all involved in doing it, I cant take it anymore Im a big puss I gotta get some heated grips lol. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Just curious if any guys have done heated grips on their Brutes? Looking to see whats all involved in doing it, I cant take it anymore Im a big puss I gotta get some heated grips lol. Any info would be appreciated thanks.
I've had the Heat Demon grips on my Kawie for about 6 years now. They've held up pretty well. There was a couple month period where the control box lights got dim and wouldn't change heat levels unless I pushed the buttons really hard, but it seemed to fix itself in time.
Wiring heated grips in is easy. Takes about 30 minutes if you follow the instructions.
You can wire them into any power source. I wired mine into the front accessory plug under the front fender by the headlight plugs.
The hardest part of the whole job is sliding the grips on the handlebars. Sometimes they are super tight.

Reactions: Rnl79

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I just installed a new set of Tusk heated grips from Rocky Mountain ATV. I replaced the Tusk grips I put on 6 years ago.
One of them died on my last ride. Don't forget the thumb warmer.

They slid on reasonably easy because they use a clamp to hold them on. I had to use a wood block and drive the first ones on with a hammer and I did not like doing that.

Heat Demon grips are higher quality from what I've been told but I am happy with my Tusk heated grips.

I would consider hand guards similar to these ^^^^^^^ too to keep the cold off your hands.
The Moose racing sticker is only stitched on and the thread can be picked so it comes off.
I think the HUGE Moose Racing is a tad much. ;)

I bought these 20 years ago for my Honda. Between the heated grips and these hand guards I just wear my summer riding gloves and my hands stay perfectly warm. They're just held on with Velcro traps.

We were out riding a week ago in the cold and one of my friends has heated grips but no guards and his hands still still got cold from the wind.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kickstart. I never have done any wiring stuff so it will be a new experience for me. Sounds like Heat Demon is the popular choice from my searches.
I just installed a new set of Tusk heated grips from Rocky Mountain ATV. I replaced the Tusk grips I put on 6 years ago.
One of them died on my last ride. Don't forget the thumb warmer.

They slid on reasonably easy because they use a clamp to hold them on. I had to use a wood block and drive the first ones on with a hammer and I did not like doing that.

Heat Demon grips are higher quality from what I've been told but I am happy with my Tusk heated grips.

I would consider hand guards similar to these ^^^^^^^ too to keep the cold off your hands.
The Moose racing sticker is only stitched on and the thread can be picked so it comes off.
I think the HUGE Moose Racing is a tad much. ;)

I bought these 20 years ago for my Honda. Between the heated grips and these hand guards I just wear my summer riding gloves and my hands stay perfectly warm. They're just held on with Velcro traps.

We were out riding a week ago in the cold and one of my friends has heated grips but no guards and his hands still still got cold from the wind.
Thanks Rubi, yea the thumb throttle heater is a must.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
It will likely take longer than 30 minutes, but it's not complicated. Make sure to use a keyed power source so you don't accidently leave them on.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
586 Posts
we use leather water proof heated gloves.
they can wired to the atv battery and plugged in at your wrist
or they have rechargeable battery in each glove that is removable.
long rides we use the plug-ins on the machines.
save the batteries in gloves for brush clearing.
made for motorcycle riders
here is a similar set to what we have
Milwaukee Leather MG7513SET Men's Black 'Heated' Leather Gauntlet Waterproof Gloves with i-Touch (Battery Pack Included)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
It will likely take longer than 30 minutes, but it's not complicated. Make sure to use a keyed power source so you don't accidently leave them on.
I wired mine direct on my Honda and left them on one time.
Got to the trailhead and went to unload my ATV and the battery was dead.
I was very grateful for the good old rope start.

Like kickstart, I wired mine to the accessory power outlet by the handlebars.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Years ago they had some heated grip assemblies that were basically a thin heating element that you attached to your bars, and then slid whatever grip you wanted over the top of that. They were absolutely terrible to install! The install instructions should have said "there will be approximately 30 minutes of extreme swearing while installing the grips over the heating elements". The grips with the heating elements inside the grips are the only way to go. So much easier to install and are pretty tough. I put some heated grips on my '02 650 years ago in '03 or '04 and they are still on there today! My buddy bought that quad off of me and uses it a lot for plowing, so the heated grips get used for extended periods of time as he has quite a bit of area to plow. X2 on what Nova said about the keyed power.

·
Super Moderator
12,600 Posts
I still use those so I can put my choice of grips on.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I went 3 years without them and have no idea how I did or why I waited so long to get them but this year I finaly got some and they are a must have.

Reactions: mastrblastr

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I'm more than happy with my $40 Tusk heated grips. (y)

The first set lasted 6 years so if the second set does as well then I'll be into 12 years of heated grips for $80.
Plus I just got a new set of grips as an added bonus.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If I were buying some heated grips today, I would get the Tusk like Kenny's. Tusk is made by Rocky Mountian ATV, which is 20 minutes away from me. If they were to fail, I could take them in there and get them replaced or fixed pretty easy. And Tusk makes pretty good stuff for good price.
When I was having trouble with my Heat Demons, I tried getting in touch with them multiple times, but their number just goes to an answering machine that hangs up on you. Never got to talk to a human being once in like 20 phone calls. Luckily, the grips fixed themselves somehow.
Heat Demon dual zone grips are supposed to be top of the line, but their customer service is bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ended up getting a pair of Savior heated gloves. Gonna see how it goes with those first.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ended up getting a pair of Savior heated gloves. Gonna see how it goes with those first.
I didnt want heated gloves because they dont last long enough the battery is dead and they cost more then good heated grips.

·
Registered
586 Posts
the kind of heated gloves we have are wired to the machine for long rides 3-8 hours.
then we get off the machine we can plug the batteries in and have heated gloves while cutting wood in the snow.
yes more expensive than just heated grips, i was trying to solve 2 problems with 1 solution.

·
Registered
972 Posts
the kind of heated gloves we have are wired to the machine for long rides 3-8 hours.
then we get off the machine we can plug the batteries in and have heated gloves while cutting wood in the snow.
yes more expensive than just heated grips, i was trying to solve 2 problems with 1 solution.
Wired heated gloves would be more of a problum for me then a solution I wouldnt want to be connected to a wire if I crash or have to get off the bike quick then im ripping wires.

Reactions: Rnl79

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had Gerbing gloves for my GL1800 for over ten years. A couple years ago I traveled about 75 miles at 65 mph in as low as 7 degree F temps and the hands stayed toasty (body also with heated jacket liner). Friends with heated MC grips complain that their knuckles get cold (unless they have the hippo hands shields). My gloves connect to my jacket liner which connects to the controller which plugs into the bike. Controller clips to the hem of my jacket. I can also run the gloves wth the "spider" that comes with them run through any jacket sleeves. I can see the convenience of heated grips, but man the comfort of heated gloves for my old arthritic hands!

I haave worn the gloves on our Mule, but not plugged in. They have great Thinsulate. They draw about 5 amps total, flat-out. Would be easy to hook up a power feed on the Mule, but we use it sparingly in the winter. Would really rather have a feed on the John Deere 345 with snow blade, but snows are so scarce here in East Tennessee.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts