Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Anyone ever try the heated sleeve which goes over the grip and can be easily removed?

Oxford Hot Hands is one brand, around $75. probably no thumb warmer though.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Anyone ever try the heated sleeve which goes over the grip and can be easily removed?

Never heard of them

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Its been pretty mild here so far. Im curious to see how the gloves do when it dips a bit. They are suppose to have a 6 hour battery life on low so we will see.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Never even heard of them gotta check that out for sure.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Its been pretty mild here so far. Im curious to see how the gloves do when it dips a bit. They are suppose to have a 6 hour battery life on low so we will see.

Its been on the nippy side here in the mornings. ;)

The other day about lunch time it was mid 40s so I decided to go for a ride.
I love my heated grips. (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I run the heat demons on my brute, run the Tusk on both my kids outlanders. Both work about the same, if anything tusks I think get a little warmer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently just put hand and thumb warmers on my 2020 Brute. I just spliced them into the 12V accessory plug wire for power so that they were on a keyed circuit. They get pretty warm, especially if you are wearing thin gloves, you feel them heat up really fast. I would also second the Moose foam wind deflectors. They look kinda like elephant ears on there but for $30 they are definitely worth it and are quick and easy to take on and off.

I went with the Kimpex deluxe heated grip and thumb warmer kit from Dennis Kirk. The reason I went with that kit was because I was thinking I could reuse the factory grips, not realizing they were molecularly bonded to the bars at the factory :rolleyes:. I ended up getting a pair of pro taper grips from local dealer for $10 so it all worked out. If I were to do it again, knowing that the grips were not going to be reusable, I would go with one of the clamp on versions of heated grips, most likely the Tusks. I have had good luck with Tusk products in the past and they are just up the road from me so I get anything I order from them the next day.

Here's a picture of the wind deflectors. I will have to take a some pictures of where I put the switches and the new grips when I get home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Years ago they had some heated grip assemblies that were basically a thin heating element that you attached to your bars, and then slid whatever grip you wanted over the top of that. They were absolutely terrible to install! The install instructions should have said "there will be approximately 30 minutes of extreme swearing while installing the grips over the heating elements". The grips with the heating elements inside the grips are the only way to go. So much easier to install and are pretty tough. I put some heated grips on my '02 650 years ago in '03 or '04 and they are still on there today! My buddy bought that quad off of me and uses it a lot for plowing, so the heated grips get used for extended periods of time as he has quite a bit of area to plow. X2 on what Nova said about the keyed power.
They aren't to bad if you know the air compressor trick to putting the grips back on. Spray a little spray paint into the grip and while the paint is still wet, slide the grip as far onto the bars as it will easily go (usually about half way). Then take your air nozzle on your air compressor hose, push the tip just under the grip edge, and blow air into the grip as you push it on. A little spritz of air and one good push is usually all it takes to slide the grip completely on the rest of the way. Just make sure you are holding onto the end of the grip before blowing air into, otherwise you will be looking for it on the other side of your garage haha.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I recently just put hand and thumb warmers on my 2020 Brute. I just spliced them into the 12V accessory plug wire for power so that they were on a keyed circuit. They get pretty warm, especially if you are wearing thin gloves, you feel them heat up really fast. I would also second the Moose foam wind deflectors. They look kinda like elephant ears on there but for $30 they are definitely worth it and are quick and easy to take on and off.

I went with the Kimpex deluxe heated grip and thumb warmer kit from Dennis Kirk. The reason I went with that kit was because I was thinking I could reuse the factory grips, not realizing they were molecularly bonded to the bars at the factory :rolleyes:. I ended up getting a pair of pro taper grips from local dealer for $10 so it all worked out. If I were to do it again, knowing that the grips were not going to be reusable, I would go with one of the clamp on versions of heated grips, most likely the Tusks. I have had good luck with Tusk products in the past and they are just up the road from me so I get anything I order from them the next day.

Here's a picture of the wind deflectors. I will have to take a some pictures of where I put the switches and the new grips when I get home.

View attachment 75857
My best friend bought those Moose Racing hand guards and used a thread picker to pick out the threads of the Moose decal to remove it and they look a lot better.

He's happy with them too.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Spray a little spray paint into the grip and while the paint is still wet, slide the grip as far onto the bars as it will easily go
And when and if one goes bad how do you get it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just use the air compressor blow gun to inflate the grip from the control side and you can usually work it off pretty quick. That is the nice thing about spraying some spray paint or hair spray inside the grip prior to installing them as apposed to grip glue. It provides enough tack to keep the grip on the handlebar and not rotate around the bar, but doesn't stick so hard that you have to cut the grips off. This is the method I have used on all my ATV's and dirtbikes forever and have never had a single issue with it. Learned it from an ATV/dirtbike mechanic.

·
Registered
972 Posts

View attachment 75857
Where did you get the tracks at

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got them from atvtracks.net. Gary Bauch, the owner, was a great help in answering all my questions and helping me get everything I needed. They are the Kimpex Commander WS4, I haven't really had a chance to test them out yet since we have had such abysmal snow conditions in Utah so far this year.

·
Registered
629 Posts
They aren't to bad if you know the air compressor trick to putting the grips back on. Spray a little spray paint into the grip and while the paint is still wet, slide the grip as far onto the bars as it will easily go (usually about half way). Then take your air nozzle on your air compressor hose, push the tip just under the grip edge, and blow air into the grip as you push it on. A little spritz of air and one good push is usually all it takes to slide the grip completely on the rest of the way. Just make sure you are holding onto the end of the grip before blowing air into, otherwise you will be looking for it on the other side of your garage haha.
We used to heat the grip in hot water, hose the grip and grid with hairspray and slam it on there. Worst part was trying to keep that grid on the bars properly while you slid the grip on. Had a couple of “oops” moments with those things.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts