Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am about to tear my heads off and see if I can see anything wrong on the top end maybe before I go into the bottom end after my super exciting Friday. I was wondering..if my lower end had screwed up wouldn't it have kept running and just started making alot of noise. It shut down on me, and started making a knocking sound after falling flat on its face. I didn't even try to start it until I got home. The cop that had caught us said he thought maybe it was the cdi box. When I changed it out, before I tried to start it with the old one ...it backfired like hell but cranked right up. It sounds very weak and making a knocking noise. I started it briefly again yesterday and the same serious bad backfiring. Could I have blown a head gasket or something in the top end, dropped a valve? It also has a funky smell....I know you guys are awesome, and can just maybe tell me what to do or look for before I just start tearing things apart! I am in big time trouble with the boss and she is not going to go for me spending all kinds of money again right here before christmas.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Your problem is in the lowend. I wouldn't keep starting it if I was you, your going to make it worse. I'd guess either bad rod bushing/bearing or bad rod all together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey Bentone, you might want to screw in an oil pressure gauge and start it, that will tell you about spun bearings before you tear into it. Im sure if its bottom end it will have little to no oil pressure

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
funny I never got a low oil pressure light to come on or anything like that! Well it looks like its tear apart time.....I am so excited :mad::mad:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why would it backfire so bad if it is a rod or crank problem i wonder?

I have taken the front valve cover off after checking the valve adjustments and they look fine....oh boy a complete rebuild maybe!?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Hmm it just now sunk in about the backfiring I see you have a 04 did you do the rocker mod? With backfiring that's timing you may have just snapped a cam chain or jumped a tooth. that would cause a knocking sound cause either the chain is wrapped around the crank or a valve is hitting the piston. Just thinking out loud here.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I agree really need to start the tear down and find the problem. I know you don't want to hear that, but Like the other guys said starting it over is just going to make it worse.

Start your tear down. Then you'll find the problem. Who did the build?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
u might as well sell me the pistons while your at it if thier not destroyed n go bigger since your goin into the bottom end. i am too but cant afford sleeves n bf cyls at the monent!!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
u might as well sell me the pistons while your at it if thier not destroyed n go bigger since your goin into the bottom end. i am too but cant afford sleeves n bf cyls at the monent!!
Go ahead man . . .:lol: You think she's on you now, go buy more stuff. :lol: You better get her Prairie running! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts