Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran across this tonight if you dont already know about it.

January 23rd 2010, 8:30 a.m. @ Honeyman State Park in the big yurt: Will be held a U.S. Forest Service meeting about dune CLOSURES!!! For more info on this move please see Duner Central search "Legislation for ALL Oregon Dunes" or rhinoforums.net search "Oregon Dunes affected by 10-C Management Plan" and "Oregon Riders, Beware"
http://www.duneguide.com/news/2009/12/groups-sue-over-planned-oregon-dunes.html

ALL DUNE LOVER SHOULD ATTEND THIS MEETING, OUR VOICES NEED TO BE HEARD. WE WILL BE LOSING MORE AREA WITH THIS ACTION. THE QUESTION IS HOW MUCH. CONTACT YOUR LEGISLATURE, FOREST SERVICE AND COASTAL LEADERS.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
If you read the article, it is talking about them trying to stop the Forest Service from putting in a New ORV trail to access the dunes from Riley Ranch. It doesn't look like they are going after the actual Dunes YET!

So if you live near by, definately go and voice your concerns. But be calm, don't give them any amo. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure yet I will have to play it by ear. If my 250R was done I would almost go just to get some time on the motor.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There were a small group of us that attended the field tour on Friday. There were six non-workgroup members who spent the whole day in the meeting on Saturday. I'm pleased to say that all six of us were OHV rights supporters. Quite a few others showed up for the public comment period, during which about a dozen of us made public comments. Thank you to all the folks that made a point to make it to Florence, at their own expense, to do what so many others are unwilling or unable to do.

Those who came for only the brief time in the late morning to make a comment probably left with a false sense of optimism regarding the enormous battle we still have in front of us, as that portion was mildly optimistic. However, having spent Friday afternoon, Friday evening, all day Saturday and Saturday evening with members of the workgroup, local land and business owners and local OHV supporters I can tell you with 100% ceratinty that optimistic is not the way you should feel about this. I learned a great deal this weekend and while I won't burden you with all of it, I'd like to share something with you all.

Please consider the following:
21% of the Oregon Dunes are currently open to OHV use
17% of the Oregon Dunes are regulated trails that are currently on the chopping block. It's this 17% that will disappear from OHV access very soon. I said WILL. Maybe not all of it but it is possible. And it is certain that large portions of it WILL BE LOST. How much depends on what the forest service ultimately decides.

Think about that. This workgroup is scheduled to make their recommendations to the forest service in June or July of 2010. Not next year, not the year after, or the one after that. This workgroup has some serious OHV opponents on it. Bird watchers, mushroom pickers, Snowy Plover advocates and local wealthy people who hate noise to name just a few. We have good people on our side on that workgroup but it's definately not enough. There are too many opponents for them to handle alone. Be afraid. In less than a few months, we could very easily lose another 17% of the dunes, leaving us with only 21% of the entire Oregon Dunes to ride on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
from what you guys are talking about, it really seems to suck. green peace and wealthy people really have the ability to screw things up. See green peace and associated groups here have got smart over the years, rather than spending there money on protests and attack ads, they turned to wiser tactics. They send there people to school and get educations, in law, biology and the list goes on. Then they search for the jobs in our ministry's, the few who make it, get in and run their own agenda's, and they know how and where to run them. Luckily our land is vast and never in my or my kids lifetime will you see the crap your faced with out there. I guess keep fighting, but from all accounts, it doesn't look good for ya's if the bird watchers get their way.... Can you say tecate fest on the east coast, maybe 2012??? hell maybe it will come to canada...haha....

·
Registered
780 Posts
They send there people to school and get educations, in law, biology and the list goes on. Then they search for the jobs in our ministry's, the few who make it, get in and run their own agenda's...
That's actually kind of what's going down here too. The Birkinstockers have gone to college and come back to take over the forest service, fish and wildlife service, etc. They've been there long enough to control it and now, sadly, change will only happen one epitaph at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts