Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have my bayou all ready to take it out... but need a trailer, so I'm buying one.

I also will need tie-down straps, and I'm confused as to what "working weight" I need.

The bayou 220 weighs just over 400Lbps, so having 4 straps to tie it down is the 400 "working weight" enough or should the "working load" be more than the weight of the ATV, if I'm using 4 straps?

Is 4 straps the right amount to use, or are 2 enough?

I don't want to lose it going down the highway at 60MPH

Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Does your trailer have a rail on it? If so, just drive it up to the rail so both front tires are evenly against it and that way you don't have to worry about it going anymore forward. I only use two straps and tie the back end down so it can't bounce side to side or slide back.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Working load means that's the heaviest load it would see under normal conditions.
4 straps x 400lbs working load each is plenty. I use 4 straps on my 650.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Working load or working load limit is usually 1/4 or 1/5 of the minimum breaking strength on fabric slings or straps. This means that those 400lb working load straps shouldnt break until a force of 1600lb or more is applied

·
Registered
723 Posts
I use 2 straps on a trailer, one in front and one in back. In a truck I only use one on the back.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, 4 straps at 400 working load, with I think a 1200 break should work just fine for my 420 lb ATV?

Consensus says yes or no?

Thanks!

·
Registered
723 Posts
That's over kill so yes it will work.

·
Registered
2019 kawasaki Mule FX Pro
2 Posts
Overkill tie downs are a good idea.
If it comes loose and hurts someone you will be held liable for any and all damages to whatever it hits!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts