Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I recently bought my kfx 400 and it ran fine no problems then I put an Edelbrock carb on it ran better than ever ( for all who say Edelbrock sucks, well you just don't know how to use it I love mine) anyways then I decided on a Athena 440 kit with a je high compression piston, ported and polished head, stage 3 hot cams full yosh exhaust and I also have a big gun over rev limiter, and it was just beast unstoppable. But after like 2 days the coil went out so whatever I took my friends off of his old z 400 and it worked fine for another 2 days now same problem again, so should I assume something else is wrong or is it just random that they both went to crap on me, any input will help

·
Registered
447 Posts
You probably have a voltage/charge issue - BUT start by checking the grounds- especially the main ground cable; it has a tendency to corrode where the battery eyelet end is clamped on a cause odd problems. It could possibly be the big gun (which was made by Procom). Procom's quality is apparently pretty shoddy, I've read multiple people who've had them crap out, I've also seen dyno tests that say the Procom boxes are no real advantage over the stock Mitsubishi CDI.

Also, Glad you're happy with your Edlebrock, many racers/mechanics who are very good with carbs are less than impressed with them because they require CONSTANT tuning for some reason. If it ever starts to screw up, save yourself a ton of headaches and cash and just get an FCR.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts