Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is here in New England and its time to do some plowing with the brute. Ive had her out already a few times and im having some issues. Sometimes when i raise and lower the plow with the winch the engine dies. After finding this issue i put it on the battery tender for a week but when i went to start it it turned over very slow and wouldnt fire. I pulled it over by hand and it started first pull. Can you guys first confirm that my battery is the issue and needs to be replaced? And if so what should i get for a replacement and wheres the best place to buy it? I've been searching a little bit and it seems theres a few options. Some people say get a yuasa, others say spend a little more and get a lithium. Given that i use this all winter to plow my driveway, will the yuasa get the job done or would i be doing myself a favor by getting a lithium battery?

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
First, it does sound like that battery is gone and time for a new one but as always, have it tested. Then its important to remember the wench uses a lot of power...more then what the charging system will put out so having extra storage/ CCas and Ah's will give a little longer usage times. A better recrifier/regulator then stock will get the best out of the stock charging system. RM Stator makes one I recommend for the Brute. They also make a stator that puts out 20% more then the stock. I use a Shorai battery because of the draw my power steering has and it does help but long times in high usages..20+ amp like the wench does deplete even a Shorai. Get the most you can stuff in there...350+CCAs and 21Ahs+ and if you have a manual lift for the plow use it when you can to save that battery. Also, there are actual electric plow lifts that don't use more then the charging system puts out so maybe that's an option down the road.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
The first cold snap of the year usually kills a battery that's been ready to die for months. I just had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Started fine when it was 50 degrees, but when it dropped into the thirties.......nothing. Oh well, it was a good one for a long time. Got 9 years out of the OEM green lettered Yuasa. That's why when I replaced it, I wanted the exact same battery, not one that was a "replacement" model number from a lesser brand. Yuasa "makes" batteries for several different companies (Interstate being one), but they are not made in the same plant. The green lettered Yuasa that comes with every brand new Kawie is specially made for Kawasaki, and designates it a model number specific to Kawie. That particular battery is made in Pennsylvania and carries a one year warranty. The Interstate replacement is made overseas and only has a 6 month warranty.

Or you could step up to the lithium Ion batteries like NM has too. They are much lighter and can have higher cold cranking amps.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I have a shop in rochester. I can get you the battery. And I have an electric plow actuator that work pretty slick. Keeps the wear and tear off from the winch and cable. They work slick.

·
Super Moderator
12,552 Posts
Got 9 years out of the OEM green lettered Yuasa. That's why when I replaced it, I wanted the exact same battery, not one that was a "replacement" model number from a lesser brand.
NHBRUTEFORCE, no one can guarantee that your battery is bad; there could be a bad connection somewhere.

Kickstart is speaking the gospel above.
:notworthy:
My 2002 650 has the original 13 year old Yuasa, and it's still working great.
When I plow (which is all winter long for the past 13 years), the lights AND hand and thumb warmers are running 100% of the time, the winch runs the plow, and the fan is running most of the time. The battery DOES NOT go down; in fact, it's never been on a charger.
The OEM Yuasa battery is top grade, and is more than capable.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
the interstate cycletron is as good. the oem ones at the dealer were like 120 last time i looked and the one i got at the interstate all battery was 65-70

·
Super Moderator
12,552 Posts
$120 for the 12 years service is a good deal, so I'll stick with OEM.
My 2011 bass boat came with 3 Interstate batteries; lets just say the OEM Yuasa will be going in the 650.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first cold snap of the year usually kills a battery that's been ready to die for months. I just had that happen to me a few weeks ago. Started fine when it was 50 degrees, but when it dropped into the thirties.......nothing. Oh well, it was a good one for a long time. Got 9 years out of the OEM green lettered Yuasa. That's why when I replaced it, I wanted the exact same battery, not one that was a "replacement" model number from a lesser brand. Yuasa "makes" batteries for several different companies (Interstate being one), but they are not made in the same plant. The green lettered Yuasa that comes with every brand new Kawie is specially made for Kawasaki, and designates it a model number specific to Kawie. That particular battery is made in Pennsylvania and carries a one year warranty. The Interstate replacement is made overseas and only has a 6 month warranty.

Or you could step up to the lithium Ion batteries like NM has too. They are much lighter and can have higher cold cranking amps.
Lets assume that the batteries yuasa "makes" for other companies are lower quality than the "green letter" yuasa batteries made for kawasaki. But what if we compare a few yuasa batteries? The green letter yuasa is a KMX14-BS right? Is that not the same battery as the yuasa YTX14-BS? My girlfriends rancher has a YTX14-BS battery in it and it starts right up every time even after sitting all winter long, and I've never put a charger on it once. But then theres another problem. There seems to be several part numbers for the YTX14-BS battery. On the yuasa website they show a YUAM7RH4S, on amazon theres a yuasa YTX14-BS battery for about $40 cheaper, but the part number is YUAM3RH4S. At $70 the yuasa is a good deal, but if i have to pay $110 for a quality one, then id have to consider stepping up to a lithium battery. I just contacted yuasa to see if they could tell me the difference between the 3 batteries, I'll let you guys know what they say when i hear from them. In the meantime ill probably go steal the battery from my gf's rancher lol

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Lets assume that the batteries yuasa "makes" for other companies are lower quality than the "green letter" yuasa batteries made for kawasaki. But what if we compare a few yuasa batteries? The green letter yuasa is a KMX14-BS right? Is that not the same battery as the yuasa YTX14-BS? My girlfriends rancher has a YTX14-BS battery in it and it starts right up every time even after sitting all winter long, and I've never put a charger on it once. But then theres another problem. There seems to be several part numbers for the YTX14-BS battery. On the yuasa website they show a YUAM7RH4S, on amazon theres a yuasa YTX14-BS battery for about $40 cheaper, but the part number is YUAM3RH4S. At $70 the yuasa is a good deal, but if i have to pay $110 for a quality one, then id have to consider stepping up to a lithium battery. I just contacted yuasa to see if they could tell me the difference between the 3 batteries, I'll let you guys know what they say when i hear from them. In the meantime ill probably go steal the battery from my gf's rancher lol

I just got the KMX14-BS for $96.75 charged and ready including tax. This was at a dealer no less. Could have probably got it cheaper if I wanted to wait, but I was going riding that day and needed one quick.

I would surely love to know the difference between the YT and KM Yuasa batteries. Please let us know what they tell you. There may not be anything different other than green lettering, but then I wonder why other battery brands like Interstate list their replacement batteries as YT instead of KM. I would think if they were going to copy a part number, they'd call it a KM instead of YT if there is no difference...

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,552 Posts
For the length of time that they last, I'll just go to my local dealer and buy it.

·
Super Moderator
4,430 Posts
Yeah well there is something about what the machines come with compared to their replacements. More people report 5+ years out of their original batteries where almost no one reports that out of the replacements. Even myself...my OE battery was at 5 years and although it showed no signs of weakening, in my mind it had to be getting close so I replaced it with another. That replacement started showing signs after 3 years and after the install of the EZ Steer..it was clear I had to do something else. So, yes I too would like to know what the difference is.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
i only got 3-4 years out of the first ones in my 650 and my old 360, the interstate ones last 4-5 with the same use. i use my machines constantly during the summer and a couple times a month during the winter, they have trickle chargers hooked up during the winter.

cycletron is oem on alot of machines. i have had very good luck with them in vehicles like trucks, thats all i will buy for my own machines.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts