Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a complete noob to the site, but I regularly use other forums like most of you guys/girls probably do. Anyway, I have a 97 Bayou 220 with a huge problem. The rear drum locked up. I was riding it one day (last year!) and after about 50 yards it stalled. I started it back up, and gave it gas. It went no where. After that I found that the wheel not on the drum wanted to move ever so slightly, and the one with the drum DOES NOT BUDGE. I've used massive amounts of pb blaster and heated it with a small butane torch, but I'm going to bring it to either my friends house or the school to use the acetylene torch. Is this the right thing to do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, this quad still starts right up after the second pull of the pull start (electric start doesn't work) and runs like the day I bought it used. I ran it today and put it into gear, but it still has the same problem.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Have you torn it down and looked at it yet?

It may be packed with dirt. You may get by with cleaning it and re lubing it.

Or it may need a piece or pieces repaired.

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
the arm on the back of the drum that the cable pulls is probably stuck on, it should loosen with heat and penetrating oil. Once you get the arm moved back so that the brakes arent engaged, take the drum off and free everything up from the inside.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This isn't packed with dirt because it literally does not budge. I'll take a look at the arm right now though. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The dirt/water/mud could have gotten in and rusted/seized some things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the drum off with the help of a neighbor. Everyone was impressed with how stuck it was. The brake's unglued from the shoes and somehow seized it. I put new brakes on it today and took it for a spin. Now I want to figure out how to fix the electric start. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts