Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 1999 220 sat for 6 years because the sight glass went out, I decided to get it running again, and get the electric start working again. The starter clutch got ripped off the stator, 2 of the bolts tore their threads out and the third one was tore clean in half. I fixed the clutch, put it all back together, and it ran for like 5 seconds, making a horrible grinding noise then sheared the flywheel key. I got it all apart and put a new key in, it did the same thing again. I don't know what the problem is. I don't want to spend 5$ on each key, and I don't think the part number in the picture below is correct, because kawasaki has the diagram for the 300 stator instead of the 220 stator, which is a slightly different setup.

What's the part number for the key, and what would cause it to keep shearing and make a horrible grinding noise only when it runs that stops when the key shears?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So is the problem maybe that I'm just not installing the flywheel right? I don't think I properly got it on either time.

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
So is the problem maybe that I'm just not installing the flywheel right? I don't think I properly got it on either time.
Without reading the complete post I'll just toss in that 99.9% of the time the reason a flywheel or rotor's key shears is because the installer did torque the retainer to spec. The rest is because the hub is cracked or damaged in some way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this thing doesnt have any bolts that directly hold the flywheel on, so I think the pull start cup does the retaining. I need to get everything tighter, for sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,511 Posts
Well this thing doesnt have any bolts that directly hold the flywheel on, so I think the pull start cup does the retaining. I need to get everything tighter, for sure.
It may also hold the pull start cup or pully but something hold that unit on the crankshaft...and usually the torque value is quite high..like above 85ftlbs. Probably a flanged 10mmx40mm bolt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The main thing is you’ve absolutely got to have the crank (and flywheel) totally free of grease. Not even a fingerprint! The key doesn’t hold the flywheel. The taper of the crank and the torque does. Key only gets it in time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts