Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forum,

It seems like a lot of individuals experience this but no one ever completes the thread with a fix. I have a early 90's (1994 maybe) Bayou 220 that has not run for 2 yrs. Acts the same today as it did then. As of today I have rebuilt the carb (cleaned and new injectors, needle, etc), replaced the CDI unit as well as the regulator/rectifier but I have the same issue. It will start easy, first pull, idle great but the slightest throttle and it dies out. Tonight I rechecked the float level, the level of fluid in the bowl after installation, tried every setting on the needle that adjust the fuel flow, made sure the air/fuel screw was 1.5 turns off of soft seat and removed every possible wired in component possible in order to rule out a grounding issue. I am lost, please help. When this first happened my father checked the compression and said it was a little low but should not keep it from running and he said the valve clearance looked good. Again, thanks for the help.

Brian

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Try the a/f screw a little further out, maybe 2-2 1/2 out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In regards to letting it warm up it does the same thing regardless of engine temp. Earlier I also adjusted the a/f screw in half turn incriments 3 more times and still the same issue. Everytime the RPM's would increase with the adjustment but it would still die with fuel. Likewise I adjusted the idle to be very fast and likewise a normal speed with the same results.

Other considerations...The resistance on my secondary winding in the ignitor coil is 9.5 khm instead of the 5.8 khm specks. I still have good spark though on the plug. Otherwise the resistance on the pickup coil is correct so I am wondering if something might be wrong with my Stator Coil/Alternator?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
additional info

I tested the stator coil and at idle I was getting 30v.....the resistance was off though at 157 ohm. According to the manual I have it should be 38v at 4000 rpm...no way to get there....and .4 to 1.1 ohm aprox......I don't have the Kawasaki voltmeter though so it could be something funky with my meter. I say this because my old CDI and regulator resistance tested bad but when I got the new ones they tested the exact same. This told me it was my meter and not my devices. Any ideas???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

My father has a bayou 220 that runs great so I took his igniter coil and carburetor off his and placed them on mine. I have the exact same situation though. I have now moved on to a timing or valve issue. The pointer in the timing inspection plug looks like it has worn away but assuming it would be dead center and aligning the t mark on the flywheel, it looks like the projection and punch mark on the cam shaft don't line up. Then when I line up the punch and projection the t mark has moved out of sight from the timing plug. One service manual that I have says that you cannot adjust the timing but to me it looks like I should be able to remove the chain and adjust the cam shaft to line up. Am I right or wrong in that thought? It is only one or two spokes off which I guess would allow it to work at idle but die at faster speeds?? Your advice is coveted.

Thanks

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unless you have reason to believe the timing chain/gears slipped, why do this at all? You can do whatever you like, but it may be a fool's errand.

On some engines, the 'pointer' isn't at TDC, but it's somewhat advanced (intentionally). So, be careful when interpreting the timing marks you see.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I have is 2 service manuels that say both points should line up. Otherwise, I have tried to systamatically go through each system one at a time from simple to complex in order to try and solve the issue. Tomorrow looks like the day I am going to tackle the timing so I will let you know unless you have any other ideas for me to try in advance. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is my first post on this forum so please forgive me for bad form. I had the same problem with one of my two 1990 Bayou 220's. This worked for me, pull the carb slide out of the carb. remove the long needle from the center and move the clip that holds it in up or down one slot. Try it taking note of where you put it and then try another until you get the best performance. Also make sur eyou have a good seal in the rubber intake and carb to air box. If the rubber is hard the seal wont be good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts