Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bayou 300 had been running great for a long time. In prep for taking it to the mountains this summer, I took the carb of to see what size jet it has. While I had it off, I sprayed it with carb cleaner but didn't disassemble anything other than the float bowl and main jet.

After reinstalling it, it does not run right. Cold, it starts and idles fine. As you accelerate, it bogs down and runs rough. In addition when it is warm, after opening the throttle and then closing it to idle, the engine stays at a relatively high rpm for 20 or 30 seconds. Eventually it will go back to a normal rpm.

Things i have done:
-checked the float level.
-Removed and cleaned main and pilot jets
-Sprayed other passages with carb cleaner
-reset pilot screw to 2 1/8 turns per manual. Was at 2 1/2.

I did not remove main air jet/diaphragm.

Any advice?
Thanks
Drw170

·
Registered
279 Posts
Run a fine brass wire through each jet. Mine could not be cleaned with solvent - it required this mechanical approach. Use a bristle from a brass brush.

Check for air leaks between the air filter and carb, and be sure the linkages/cable work smoothly for your high-RPM-when-hot situation. Does the throttle open and shut crisply, or is the cable dragging in either direction?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have made sure that all of the jets are clear, (thought the pilot jet had something in it), but no change.

It still bogs when I try to accelerate through the mid range. But if I partially cover the carb inlet with my hand, it accelerates normally. I tried turning the pilot screw in and out, but didn't seem to make much if any difference.

Any other ideas?

Drw170

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bayou 300 carb problem-bogging ams high idle *added video*

I just posted a video to YouTube. If I accelerate it slowly it will go up to full speed. But if I open t the throttle quickly, it bogs down and spits gas out of the carb inlet.

You can also hear in the video that it doesn't go back down to idle very quickly.

Any chance the diaphragm is not opening the main jet needle fast enough?

I have a video on YouTube. I can't link to it since I haven't posted enough on the forum. Just search for Bayou 300 bogging carb.

I appreciate any advice.

Drw170

·
Registered
279 Posts
Is your gas tank fuel valve working well and do you get good fuel flow directly from the valve? I rebuilt mine and found some debris on the pickup screen in the tank, although not enough to impede fuel flow.

Is the needle in the carb set too low in the sleeve, causing a lean problem on acceleration? It sounds like a lean fuel problem to me. I can't comment on the slow return to idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts