Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the clutches in my '87 Bayou 300. When I installed the replacement centrifugal clutch, I noticed the clutch hub could slide in and out on the shaft after the nut was tight. It seems to have maybe .040 play--about the thickness of the thrust washer. It seemed excessive, so I reinstalled the original clutch--same thing. I'm wondering if this end play is normal or if I'm missing something? I have the Kawasaki Service manual and years of experience. I have 1 thrust washer--there's only 1 in the exploded drawing. I wish I paid more attention when I tore it apart. My question is: Is this in/out freeplay with the hub able to slide .040 or so on the shaft normal? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just rebuilt my 220 and I noticed this as well. Not with the clutch basket but with the secondary clutch. I looked and the gears still match up well at any position so I guess it'll be fine. Well find out lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm talking about the centrifugal clutch on the Crankshaft--the front clutch. Was it the front one on your 220 that had the end play?

·
Registered
262 Posts
No I don't recall that having play in it. Did you put the right washers in. There is 2 different size ones. Could the play be in the crank bearings? Once the pressure plate OS on the clutch basket and the nut and springs were on iI didn't notice any play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. The crank and bearings are normal. The clutch hub is fine. It's the drum that can slide in and out a bit--about .040. I'll check on the thrust washer thickness. I only have the one that came off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You ran it like that yet? Maybe that's how its supposed to be. Idk lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't started it yet. I put it together last night and hoped the carb rebuild I did while I had it apart would take care of my hard starting problem. It didn't. I'm looking into that problem next. I think it's weak spark, but I haven't gotten serious on it yet. Once I get it running, I'll post my results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts