Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
First post here. So I am pretty new to atv's and not much of a mechanic either, and have some questions.

By machine is a Bayou 300 2 wheel drive, late 80's vintage. I have been having some issues with the driveline on it. It's hard to explain what the problem is, but I'll do my best here.

Start the machine in neutral. Starts up and runs good.
Put it in first gear, as soon as it goes into first the machine starts moving. If you don't give it gas, it will chug and die out. Just like in a car, if you don't push in the clutch when you come to a stop, it will die out. Something is not disengaging in the drive. I put a new one way bearing into it, and that didn't change it. I put a new primary clutch in, thinking that the springs were weak.

When I first got this, and I started it up, I'd put it in gear and have to rev the motor for it to go. If I came to a stop, the engine would just idle until I revved again and then it would move. Just like it should.

Now, it's like the clutch won't disengage. If I put it in gear, and keep the shift lever raised, it will idle fine. Then I slowly lower the shift lever, and it is like engaging the clutch. I can run through the gears fine, both up and down, but when I come to a stop I have to downshift to neutral or it will die out, just like the car and not pushing in the clutch.

Is the primary clutch, the one with the springs and pads, not what makes the machine move when you rev it up? You rev it up, the centrifugal motion expands the pads to the drum, and that's what turns the transmission... is that correct?

I am completely stumped by this. When I have the cover off, I can rotate the drum freely of the crankshaft... in other words, if I grab the drum and turn it, the engine doesn't turn over.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong with this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

· Registered
274 Posts
Is the clutch adjustment too tight?

· Registered
1 Posts
I have basically the same issue. Bayou 300 2x4. New primary and secondary clutch. When I shift into gear it jerks bike and kills motor. I've adjusted it several times to no avail. Idle is very low. All parts were new. Is there possibly something I missed. Used HD clutch springs could this be it. Felt about the same as the stock ones. ?????help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts