Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have a 97 BF750i, carbed, runs great, only really used in the desert and for hunting. has a Benz silencer muffler since i don't want it to be loud. 2010 Teryx heads, stock wheels, Big Horn tires. I want to dump about 2K into it. what would be a list of good upgrades for basic desert trail riding? shocks, wheels etc. it will wheelie on the street with no problem, does not have a dynatec or anything along those lines. give me a wish list so i can get ordering!! thanx!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Ok, i have a 97 BF750i, carbed, runs great, only really used in the desert and for hunting. has a Benz silencer muffler since i don't want it to be loud. 2010 Teryx heads, stock wheels, Big Horn tires. I want to dump about 2K into it. what would be a list of good upgrades for basic desert trail riding? shocks, wheels etc. it will wheelie on the street with no problem, does not have a dynatec or anything along those lines. give me a wish list so i can get ordering!! thanx!
You probably meant to say 2007 instead of '97 because they didn't make a BF in 97.
A Dynatek would be my first choice upgrade. Livens it up substantially, gets rid of the limp mode, the reverse limiter, and you'll never have to reset the belt reminder ever again.

Next, I'd ditch the stock wheels and the bighorns. Get a wheel that won't dent by looking at it, and get a tire that works better for sand and loose gravel.

If you ride fast, next would be suspension upgrade. But Elkas would zap your money pretty quick and not let you do much else. If you don't ride fast, forget it.

If you're like my family in Phoenix, they ride mostly at night down there because it's just too hot during the day. In that case, they all have gone crazy for LED lighting. They mount LED bars front, back, and even some on the sides of their rigs.
I absolutely love my LED bar. It's way brighter than my stock lamps, and it takes a tenth of the juice.

·
Registered
688 Posts
You probably meant to say 2007 instead of '97 because they didn't make a BF in 97.
A Dynatek would be my first choice upgrade. Livens it up substantially, gets rid of the limp mode, the reverse limiter, and you'll never have to reset the belt reminder ever again.

Next, I'd ditch the stock wheels and the bighorns. Get a wheel that won't dent by looking at it, and get a tire that works better for sand and loose gravel.

If you ride fast, next would be suspension upgrade. But Elkas would zap your money pretty quick and not let you do much else. If you don't ride fast, forget it.

If you're like my family in Phoenix, they ride mostly at night down there because it's just too hot during the day. In that case, they all have gone crazy for LED lighting. They mount LED bars front, back, and even some on the sides of their rigs.
I absolutely love my LED bar. It's way brighter than my stock lamps, and it takes a tenth of the juice.
Im thinking about buying a good led bar for the front post a few listings if you know any preferably not from amazon Thanks

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My buddy owns a powersport supply store. I just told him I wanted a 6" bar that was not going to break in 6 months, and he got me a good one. From what I've been told, as of 2019, you have to spend at least $100 to get a 6" one that will be reliable and not let water in. (The 12"+ models will be more money of course).

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
If you've never bent a wheel then replacing your current wheels and tires would be a waste of money unless you're doing it for looks.

I don't have an issue with the way mine rides so I've never be interested in spending big money for new shocks. I'm not an aggressive rider.

The new programmer sounds like a good idea and so does a nice LED light.

Make sure you carry stuff like a battery jumper, tire pump, lots of tire plugs, a good first aid kit, tourniquet and I'm sure you have a good idea what to carry in case a grizzly bears attacks you. I'd imagine you already have a winch and extra recovery straps. Sometimes out in the desert there aren't many trees to tie to.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanx, yeah i had a slip of the keyboard when putting in the year, it is actually a 2008! DUH! I don't ride aggressively and almost all hard and soft sand and desert scrub. i have only one dent in one wheel and it pounded out nice. suspension is good so that money can be rerouted. i have some Bear Claws that have not been mounted. i don't ride at night, although i live in the middle of a crap ton of field roads that can take you all the way to Mex if you wanted to, but i'm usually too pooped out to ride at night during the summer and it did cool off last night at midnight to a very cool 100 degrees.

the dyna sounds like a great upgrade. i have one on my Harley and it really perked it up. pimping out with LED would not do me any good and this is like Razr capital of the world and they all have some color of LED on them. have winch and everything i could ever use if stuck in desert to include battery starter mini pack, jerk lines, 4 sets of gun snubbies, bags for ammo, MRE's, water, first aid etc.

i would prolly have to have the dyno put in by my mechanic, maybe before i get the valves adjusted for hunting season in October that would be a good upgrade. any suggestion on brand that is plug and play? thanx you all

it would be nice to find a new set of plastics for it but i can never find any leads on any....

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
thanx, yeah i had a slip of the keyboard when putting in the year, it is actually a 2008! DUH! I don't ride aggressively and almost all hard and soft sand and desert scrub. i have only one dent in one wheel and it pounded out nice. suspension is good so that money can be rerouted. i have some Bear Claws that have not been mounted. i don't ride at night, although i live in the middle of a crap ton of field roads that can take you all the way to Mex if you wanted to, but i'm usually too pooped out to ride at night during the summer and it did cool off last night at midnight to a very cool 100 degrees.

the dyna sounds like a great upgrade. i have one on my Harley and it really perked it up. pimping out with LED would not do me any good and this is like Razr capital of the world and they all have some color of LED on them. have winch and everything i could ever use if stuck in desert to include battery starter mini pack, jerk lines, 4 sets of gun snubbies, bags for ammo, MRE's, water, first aid etc.

i would prolly have to have the dyno put in by my mechanic, maybe before i get the valves adjusted for hunting season in October that would be a good upgrade. any suggestion on brand that is plug and play? thanx you all

it would be nice to find a new set of plastics for it but i can never find any leads on any....
Sounds like all you really need is more gas. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts

Dynatek CDI. Installs in 30 seconds. No tools necessary.
New plastics for your ride aren't terribly expensive at RMATV.

Do you ride from home, or do you transport to the trails?

·
Registered
688 Posts
You're not looking at engine mods, as you use a silencer muffler.
If you ride aggressively, then you want shocks. A set of four Elka Stage 3 shocks is on sale right now for $1300. The ride and handling difference will "shock" you.
https://us.elkasuspension.com/product/stage-3-kit-front-rear-kit-shocks-for-kawasaki-brute-force-750i-2005-to-2019/
ON SALE I bought mine 2 years ago for the same price I think that sale is never ending haha but yes the elkas are definitely the first thing you want to do.

·
Registered
688 Posts

Sounds like all you really need is more gas. :grin2:
I love that rotopax that I bought I got the 3.5 gallon one its awesome love having the Peace of mind that I have extra gas. I ride with side by sides that have 12 gallon tanks or bigger we could put in 100 miles or more in a day so I got the tank and its been great only used it once though but really enjoy having it with me

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Dynatek CDI. Installs in 30 seconds. No tools necessary.
New plastics for your ride aren't terribly expensive at RMATV.

Do you ride from home, or do you transport to the trails?
I have a great trailer that i transport to where i hunt and ride. i ride the field roads weekly for about 10 miles just to run gas through her since it is too hot to ride during the day. anything special on settings and stuff for the Dyna? I may be getting it since it does negate the limp mode and the reverse limiter, but that is not a big deal with the overide.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
If your's is an '08, then it is fuel injected. The Dynatec CDI is only for carbed models. You'd have to get an aftermarket fuel injection module for yours. Since you have no engine mods, I'm not sure you'd gain much from an new module or get to delete the limp mode and such. But you might give VForceJohn a call and see what he can do for you.

vforcejohn.com

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If your's is an '08, then it is fuel injected. The Dynatec CDI is only for carbed models. You'd have to get an aftermarket fuel injection module for yours. Since you have no engine mods, I'm not sure you'd gain much from an new module or get to delete the limp mode and such. But you might give VForceJohn a call and see what he can do for you.

vforcejohn.com
X2. Call John.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely call Vforce John. He'll set you up with a custom tuned MSD programmer for a 2008-2011 Brute Force. It will have VFJ's custom dyno tuned fuel and Ignition mapping. Very easy to install as well. Plug and Play!
His company is called Interstate Motorsports.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, put the new Dyna CDI in and talk about a cheap upgrade! pulled the front up with just a blip, scared the hell out of me! it just seemed to bring the beast out of the Brute! easier starts, and some low/high end balls! I'll use the money that i was going to spend to take to my local independent shop and get all of the fluids changed, valves adjusted, and a good going over. it is still too hot to ride far here in September so i'll get it down there after Dove season is over. strip off all the bags and repack, etc. Thanx for the input about the Dyna Tech!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts