Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a 2001 lakota new in 2001, did the common mods, 13t sprocket,suppertrap ,airfilter and jets..only popped wheelies reving motor and popping clutch on blacktop. bought an ebay junker 2001 lakota for $350 that had carb off and plastic off in the rain till motor siezed. bored out .20 over installed oversize stock piston,mikuni vm 32mm round slide carb , ported out the exhaust port the same size as the pipe gasket and removed enough material that i could fit my thumb through the port compared to stock little finger size. the stock muffler pipe had a welded ring restrictor near head. ground it out and installed clamp on air filter 13t sprocket. after setting up the main jet and a twist throttle, I now pull a wheelie in 1st gear just twisting the throttle on flat pavement. racing my other lakota I am 2 lengths ahead before hitting 2nd. Carb and porting is the best mods hands down!!! for the experimental mechanic this could be achieved on a running quad fo under $150.00 . carb and extra jet $105,top-end gasket kit $26 shipping $11 porting "free"

·
Registered
637 Posts
I concur with this statement but getting a .390 cam and 335 kit from Greg at CWR makes these bikes romp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how do you keep the clutch from slipping, I notice I'm right on the border of the clutch not holding. looking at another basket case tomorrow for my other son. have a spare head already modded out, might go to 335. this head I worked the ports more and 2 angle valve cut. I will need to go with a 34 mikuni.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am running aset of heavy duty clutch springs I got from Greg for like $12. If I were you, go ahead and switch to a 400ex carb. Thats what I run on mine and it really woke it up after the cam install. They are 38mm and have an accelerator pump and very easy to get. This little motors like getting all the air they can. I have been thinking of maybe trying to get a FCR37 off of a crf250r and seeing if it will work. here is what mine looks like.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry they didnt take the first time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts