Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully it’s ok to post this here.

One major reason I bought my pro fxt was to take it to Pagosa Springs on our family vacation every year.

I’m looking for a good gps that has OHV trails on it. Phones are sporadic where we go so I need something that can get us back to the truck if we get lost. I’ll likely use it once a year so don’t want to spend a ton of money. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We spend the summer in Pagosa and I use OnX hunts mobile app. $30 a year and it has an offline mode that works great. You save an offline map while you have wifi connectivity and then go offline while out riding.I have found when I am in areas with some minimal cellular reception to put phone in airplane mode or it gets hung up trying to populate screen with current location. Takes a little bit of a learning curve, but I have found it to be my best option. There may be better options out there, but this also shows public, private land which is critical when I am hunting the national forest. I have a garmin Rino I have used for years on hunting trips, but this beats it hands down.I have the OnX SD card for Rino. Also stop by Forest Service and pick up MVUM for free, this can also be viewed on line. I'm sure you know you will be limited to forest service roads, since OHV trails are 50" in Colorado. We had 2 - 50" RZR's until this year, but get plenty of riding with the FXT.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. I’ll check that out. I didn’t think about the 50” rule until after I bought it but I am aware that I’ll be limited. Any suggestions on which trails to ride? I’ll have my 2 & 3 year old sons with me so, I have no interest in anything dangerous.
Rules? Do I need to buy tags or anything? TIA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Some good trails that leave hwy 160 over wolf creek pass. Great paved parking area where road leaves 160 going to Tucker ponds. Again, either get MVUM at forest service or look online. The Tucker Ponds area is in Rio Grande National Forest. These are easy roads all the way to Platora. Great in summer because elevation keeps it cool. Other than that, Mill Creek Road across from Tractor Supply. Drive out maybe 4 miles and park after you enter national forest. Further south Buckles Lake road has some good riding.We ride Turkey Springs area alot because it is near our house. Williams Creek area has good riding. Remember you will be sharing the road with other OHV's and all types of trucks, suvs and cars. You might avoid Elwood pass, it is about the most extreme around Pagosa. You will need to stop at Walmart or any merchant that sells fishing licenses and get out of state OHV permit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bud! I envy you. One of our goals is to get to the point that we can live there all summer and come back to Texas the rest of the year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You will need to purchase an OHV tag each year when riding a non-street legal vehicle in Colorado. $25.25 yearly. You can buy it at a few different places in town.
We have a cabin in Pagosa that I come to each summer and am here now. Since I am retired, I spend the summers up here, rather than in the heat and humidity of the Houston area.
I just use my iphone and an App called COtrex, and use it when on trails. It is free, and a very good app for offroad trails any where in Colorado, whether ATV, SXS, hiking, horses, etc. You select the type of trail you want to use. It works off of your phone’s GPS and does not depend on cell signal. You can also go on the internet and open the COtrex website, and play with it and learn how to use it.
I am still a member of this forum since I had a Bayou 400 that I gave to my sister to use on their farm, but I still work on it. But, I now have a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 that I ride up here. I was looking at the Mule Pro, but found a good price on a used Pioneer, so got it.
There are a few good trails up here, but more around Creede and Silverton And the Alpine Loop.
You will have a great time, no matter where you ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will need to purchase an OHV tag each year when riding a non-street legal vehicle in Colorado. $25.25 yearly. You can buy it at a few different places in town.
We have a cabin in Pagosa that I come to each summer and am here now. Since I am retired, I spend the summers up here, rather than in the heat and humidity of the Houston area.
I just use my iphone and an App called COtrex, and use it when on trails. It is free, and a very good app for offroad trails any where in Colorado, whether ATV, SXS, hiking, horses, etc. You select the type of trail you want to use. It works off of your phone’s GPS and does not depend on cell signal. You can also go on the internet and open the COtrex website, and play with it and learn how to use it.
I am still a member of this forum since I had a Bayou 400 that I gave to my sister to use on their farm, but I still work on it. But, I now have a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 that I ride up here. I was looking at the Mule Pro, but found a good price on a used Pioneer, so got it.
There are a few good trails up here, but more around Creede and Silverton And the Alpine Loop.
You will have a great time, no matter where you ride.
Thanks for the info. We love it up there. You’re lucky. It’s plenty hot down here today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts