Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 BF has 50 original miles on it. I just bought it yesterday. It runs great when the choke is on, very fast and powerful. If I turn the choke off, it dies right away. If I turn the choke off at high speed, it runs well with it off until I slow down. I would say it cuts out at about half throttle. I ran it long enough that it was very warm. The gas is old but I added Stabil and half a tank of 93 octane with hopes that this would freshen up the old gas (runs strong with choke on). I assume there is a plugged low speed jet. If so, what do I do? I'm somewhat handy with carbs but not an expert.

I also have a 2005 that runs really well--same machine. This one sputters a little when it's cold but great after that.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ran it again this morning. Got it very warm and blasted around the yard. It ran better. I think the good gas and Stabil has made it through the fuel system. It's running better than it did last night. Still very strong with choke on and at half and higher throttle with choke off. Still coughing at less than half throttle with choke off. I'm wondering if a carb cleaner additive would do it. Anybody have a recommendation?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Chevron Techtron fuel injection cleaner works great in carbs.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Your gonna need to pull the carbs apart, the pilot jets are probably clogged.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Clean means clean!

Pilot jet (s)............drain the carbs into something clean....if you see any trash, water, etc. ..........pull them and clean them. Then install an inline fiber filter.

I had the same trouble at 115 miles.......... with trash in a pilot jet........These guys helped alot.............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts. I'm going to try the Chevron first and go from there. I have run it twice in the last 2 days and it's getting better using more Stabil and more fresh gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts