Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had old fuel, so I siphoned it out and replaced. Motor still hard to start, won't idle long, and accelaration has to be done by feathering the throttle lever. When it dies, it backfires. Sometimes top out speed is 30, sometimes its 60, not consistent. I'm thinking either gummed up carbs, or fuel filter clogged up. Where do you experts think I should start ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Exactly where you stated you think the problem is. Carbs. Make sure your slides are operating properly by removing your airbox lid and firing up your bike. Slides should flutter back and forth while operating the throttle. You can also check how easily they slide by sticking your finger in there (bike not running of course) and pushing the slides open and letting them close as it should close on it's own. If they stick at all, clean your carbs. I'd check and clean the carbs anyways. Replace your fuel filter. Check fuel lines. Check the fuel pump. Check carb boots. Check and clean the airbox. Clean your air filter. Check exhaust for any obstructions. Set your valves as well. You say you siphoned out the old fuel and replaced with new stuff. Has your bike been unused for a while?

·
Registered
12,474 Posts
Such a wide variation in speed would say it's not running on one cylinder from time to time. How long did it sit w/o running?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sat in a hot/cold garage since deer season. Maybe 3 months tops without being started and at least rode around the yard a bit. The last few months, it started the missing, backfiring, and dying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the airbox revealed a fairly dry filter but clean. Carb slides functioned as they should and looked very clean. Continued to miss out, even with airbox off, so not starving for air. I believe fuel was ethanol free, and I even put red stuff in it.

I don't have a clue on how to remove carbs or fuel injectors for cleaning, so I guess I'm headed to shop for a deep cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts