Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a 3 week tour de force of southern Utah desert country. I ran some of the gnarliest nasties that Utah has to offer. One in particular is 70 miles of hell. You are in 4wd and doing no more than 15 mph for hours. Then later on, I did a couple trails that I ran 110 miles total with several stretches of 60 mph sustained for 20 miles or more. Overall, I racked up over 700 tough miles in the three weeks.
I'm happy to report that the Kawie performed flawlessly. I'm even more happy to report that I checked my valves today, and all are in perfect shape! I was so happy when I reached in there to wiggle the rocker arm and felt a tap tap tap. I think it's safe to say that VFJ has solved the valve tightening issue once and for all. :cool:

If there was any bad news, it was that my steering stem developed a little more play than I like. It's been getting gradually worse for the last 6 months, but that super rough trail left it a bit looser. I'm actually quite surprised it's lasted this long. I've turned the handlebars probably a million times in 21, 700 miles!
So, has anybody ever had to fix this issue? My buddy had to replace the bushings inside the clamp last year, and it wasn't too bad. But it appears my problem is in the bearing at the bottom of the stem. It looks like it could be a bugger to replace....?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just did the upper bushings/seals on my SRA, and it wasn’t bad at all. I thought I would have to replace the lower bearing but it seems good for now. Doesn’t look like too bad of a job.

What is VFJ’s fix for the valves? I don’t recall reading about it anywhere and would LOVE to do the fix while I have brand new valves in now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Nevermind, just found your thread from last year. Wish I had seen it before taking my engine in. I would have done this fix instead of having +1.5mm KW’s installed. The valves were trashed from the dipshit that had it before me never doing any maintenance, including adjusting the shift linkage and tightening the engine mounts.

It’s amazing the difference between my 08 SRA that had 2500 miles on it when I got it, and my wife’s P650 that is pushing 10,000 on it. Just the most basic of maintenance and fixing little issues before they become big issues makes a world of difference. After 3 years of fixing all of the things I’ve found with this BF, it’s still probably not as reliable as the old P650 with triple the miles on it.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just did the upper bushings/seals on my SRA, and it wasn’t bad at all. I thought I would have to replace the lower bearing but it seems good for now. Doesn’t look like too bad of a job.

What is VFJ’s fix for the valves? I don’t recall reading about it anywhere and would LOVE to do the fix while I have brand new valves in now.
Thanks.
The VFJ solution was to cut the seats at 2mm wide. I don't know why Kawie didn't already know this, and implement it into their ATVs. They were already doing it in their street bikes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought that there will be some photos on this thread, but it seems like you had fun on this adventure.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that there will be some photos on this thread, but it seems like you had fun on this adventure.
I've got pics out the wazoo, but nobody seems to look at pics here anymore.🙁

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've got pics out the wazoo, but nobody seems to look at pics here anymore.🙁
I always do. I sign into the forum about 5 or so times a day.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well here's a few pics of the trip then.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Reactions: NCBrute650

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Reactions: NCBrute650

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the steering stem bearing is proving to be a #$&@&@*!
I spent 5 hours on it tonight and I'm only halfway done. All the castle nuts had cotter pins that were put in backwards at the factory. Had to cut them all out. Then the tie rods were a major pain to undo. The bearing fell apart in my hand when I got it out. Still have to figure out how to get the Allen screws out of the bushing clamps.
This one's going for extra innings.😬😧

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cut slots in the Allen screws with a dremel. Then you can get a decent size pry bar or flat blade in the slot and torque it. Or cut flat ends on the allens so you can grip a set of pliers or a wrench on it. I think that’s how I had to get the stupid front diff drain off when I first got my 08. It was stripped from the PO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you get it worked out? Those Allen bolts suck trying to get to them with all the dash harness and cables in the way.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you get it worked out? Those Allen bolts suck trying to get to them with all the dash harness and cables in the way.
Not yet. Rather than strip out the heads, I opted to buy a wobble head hex extension so I could get straight on with that bolt on the left side. The thermostat and hose are just too much in my way.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not yet. Rather than strip out the heads, I opted to buy a wobble head hex extension so I could get straight on with that bolt on the left side. The thermostat and hose are just too much in my way.
Yeah that one is tough. I had the bike stripped down pretty far when I did mine and was able to sneak a 1/4” ratchet with allen attachment through the nest of stuff from underneath it. Got my knuckles pretty good when it broke free.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it off. Now just waiting for bushings and the bearing to get here.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ouch, that little bearing is $110!😯
Looking at it, I'd have guessed around $35. For $110 bucks, it ought have a grease zerk at least.🤨

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ouch, that little bearing is $110!😯
Looking at it, I'd have guessed around $35. For $110 bucks, it ought have a grease zerk at least.🤨
Are you replacing the bearing at the bottom of the stem or the bushings and seals that attach the stem to the frame? Yes, they want big $ for that little pillow block bearing. That’s why mine is still the original.

I had a bad wobble in my handlebars and replacing those upper bushings and seals and greasing the hell out of it cured the wobble.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you replacing the bearing at the bottom of the stem or the bushings and seals that attach the stem to the frame? Yes, they want big $ for that little pillow block bearing. That’s why mine is still the original.

I had a bad wobble in my handlebars and replacing those upper bushings and seals and greasing the hell out of it cured the wobble.
I'm replacing both. I was getting side to side and up and down play. The bushings are the side movement, and the bearing is up and down. I noticed awhile back that the seal and little spring on the bottom of the seal were dangling off the castle nut, so I figured there wasn't any grease left. Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts