Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...been a while,lol...how is everyone?

we've been busy,bought a house finally and have a new one on the way in 2 more months...that is what has kept me away...all good things though for sure...i have still been riding though

anyways,had a bit of bad luck last week with the bike...the p700 (my fav) is in need of some work for the first time...both my bikes have over 3500 miles and 300 hours and have had no serious issues...anyways,the belly skid on the prairie had that rubber stopper between it and the block that i assume most come with,both the 2 different brands i have had them anyways...well the one on the brute is missing as it was only glued on no biggie,but the one under the prairie unknowing to me wass bolted to the skid...i never paid much attention to what held it there...anyways,that bolt got pushed into my block case where the 2 halves come together...hard to believe,but it pushed the one half up just enough to cause a 1/8" gap about 3/8" long between the 2 cases...not good,of course it won't hold oil now...luckily i was already back at the trailer when the oil light popped on...shouldn't have any motor damage...damn it,why would a company but a bolt on the belly skid...makes me mad that i didn't ever notice it was fastened this way

anyways,this obviously is a big job to fix...if anyone has any advice for me...i'm all ears,lol...this job is too big for me as i have never jumped into the internals on the motor and don't trust myself to do so...gonna be hard to find the funds right now though...here's what i figured...no insurance as of now on it,don't know if it would cover something like this or not though...anyways,the wife is gonna check in on it...if it will,we'll get the insurance and make a claim in a few months...i figured i'd get a new to me case half (the right hand side when sitting on the bike...since the motor has to be fully taken down...why not piston it also,no boring...just some better pistons and maybe cams also...i'm all ears...i'd much prefer a kit of some sort if i did this that was not real extensive...one that needed no maching of the oem parts...thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I belive the two halves are machined to fit together perfectly. Don't know if you can replace just one half. I would just try to get someone with an aluminum welder to weld it up for the time being.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yep weld it and when you want to overhaul it or maybe never just slit saw it and send the cases to someone like me and i can build up the low spot and resurface and your good to go. If it has a small drip finish it with JB weld and run it. We done this before.JH

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys...didn't know if that could be done or not...thought about the jb weld thingy for a temp fix,but not permanent...anyone know more about the halves...can only one side be replaced?

my knowledge in this category obviously lacks,lol

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow,i've been gone a while i know,but has this place changed???

no other input or suggestions even on a motor kit that bolts right in???

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Mudinmyrblood has most of the ute people now. Very nice site with a lot of technical help.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
What??? I never even heard of that site before. I wish them luck, but find it hard to believe any site has as much Kaw. technical knowhow floating around as KR...that is just my 2 cents of course.

Sawhead,
If I were you, I'd just find a welder or someone who can patch it. I don't think I'd trust JB weld with the hole being in such a precarious location...wouldn't take much to ruin the motor if it leaks again while you are riding (and you don't notice the leak in time).

Also, I would not bother doing a BBK until you have the funds saved up to do it right...if and when you want to do a BBK, I recommend that you buy a kit from one of the popular builders...FST (Big Kev sells his kits now), AMR and Fundy. There are other builders who can sell you parts too, but these 3 are the most popular at the moment. If you can afford it, get an 800 kit. This kit "bolts in" if you know what you are doing and you are willing to swap out your stock cylinders for some cylinders that already has the 800cc sleeves pressed in (that is what I did when I bought my FST 800 kit). If you don't feel comfortable getting an 800, you can do a 730 kit (you have to get your stock cylinders bored out to match the 730cc pistons). Whatever you decide to do, just be aware that once you start building up the motor, its a SLIPPERY SLOPE...you may find that you suddenly "need" bigger carbs", ported heads, bigger intakes, etc., etc.

Good luck with that and happy trails...:)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
They have awesome video's on tech help. Very nice site, at least the kawie section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wow,i've been gone a while i know,but has this place changed???

no other input or suggestions even on a motor kit that bolts right in???
I've not been here long so don't know if it's changed or not, but answers/recommendations do seem hard to come by in some cases. Maybe you have to be vested with a large post count (like yourself) before anyone wants to talk to you or help out. Not sure. I posted something about routine maint. several days ago, simply hoping for some input for someone new to ATVs. Nearly 50 views last time I checked, but not a single reply.

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Sawhead,
Unfortunately, a few of the "regular" ute guys have sold off their prairies (or parted out their go-fast parts) in recent months (e.g.,FastFatBoy, Grider, etc.)...so the Prairie/BF section is not quite the same as it used to be.

Navycraig,
This site has a vast wealth of knowledgeable people, but they can't always take the time to answer newbie questions that have already been asked/answered dozens of times. I didn't see your other post, but I'm guessing that if it was just a question about routine maintenance, it may have been a commonly asked question. For those questions, you are far better off to simply use the SEARCH feature...type in in a few buzz words and you will likely find a ton of good threads that already covered your topic. If you have a unique question, perhaps you can be more specific in the topic of your thread.

Happy trails...:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
What??? I never even heard of that site before. I wish them luck, but find it hard to believe any site has as much Kaw. technical knowhow floating around as KR...that is just my 2 cents of course.
KR is a great site and has a wealth of information. I also check out NYROC's atv website. Lots of helpful threads there too. My 2cents 2.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Think many have either changed rides or moved else where. There is not near the wealth of info that was once available here. Same has happened at HL. Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmmm,too bad so many have left or sold off,whichever the case...but i guess i don't have much room to talk since i haven't been here in quite a while...just busy with the new house and the getting ready for the new kid on the block,lol

i appreciate the effort and it seems that just welding it would be the best bet,after we do the insurance bit of course,lol...i guess the upgrade in pistons and such is out then,dang it...just don't have lots of coin laying around right now with things going on in life of much more importance than beefing up the bike

one important question though,keep in mind i mean what i say when i lack knowledge of the internals and such as i have only ever done bolts ons...if i get it welded,do i have to worry about the seal inbetween the 2 cases (if there is one,i assume there is) becoming compromised from the heat of the welder (keep in mind it is a very small area where the cases are now mismatched)?

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
no, there is no seal. It's just a gasket sealer applied to the case halves

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks monkey

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
KR is a great site and has a wealth of information. I also check out NYROC's atv website. Lots of helpful threads there too. My 2cents 2.

Yeah, NYROC's is a great site...the TECH TIPS section is particularly helpful...especially for newbies. The only downside is one of their moderators is a real jerk...I'm talking about the joke of a moderator in the Prairie 650/700 section! :lol:

Happy trails...:)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok,got her up and running again...after further inspection,the block was cracked...new block and fresh bearings!!!

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
You're a couple days late...we just had our mud races up here. Without you a kitty won your class. A couple of guys asked me if that cheater from Nebraska was coming..lol. Happy to hear you have it running again.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
Hey Wyatt! Good to hear she's runnin.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks...hopefully life with the fam and our newest member Max will slow down some so i can make time to ride now,lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts