Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pretty disappointed a couple years ago when I found out that one of my favorite tires had been discontinued. But I was very glad to learn today that they are back! They are no longer sold as STI, rather under Ocelot tire company. And the price is awesome for 1 1/8" tread tire....about $100 each.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
I was pretty disappointed a couple years ago when I found out that one of my favorite tires had been discontinued. But I was very glad to learn today that they are back! They are no longer sold as STI, rather under Ocelot tire company. And the price is awesome for 1 1/8" tread tire....about $100 each.
Nice man how many sets are you getting ? In a gew weeks im gonna get some new xtr's for my brand new oem rims

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice man how many sets are you getting ? In a gew weeks im gonna get some new xtr's for my brand new oem rims
I just bought a set of Anclas, and I still have a set of Viprs to use after my Anclas wear out! Lol.
But it's nice to know I can buy BDs again someday.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yup. Blackdiamonds grippin and rippin.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Rnl79

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your welcome but gotta say you got me real curious about Anclas.
I'm loving the Anclas so far too. They've been awesome in the snow this winter.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

I got my first set along with a set of STI wheels back in May 2011.

I got my second set for a 2012 Polaris 550 Touring demo.

I ran 2.5 PSI in them front and rear on both machines.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't feel that the BD were the best winter tires but LOVED them everywhere else.
I would say that Viprs and Anclas have been better in the snow than the BD'S by a fair margin, but I still went everywhere I normally go in the winter with them. Seemed to me that they did better when the snow was more of the "snowball" type rather than the fluffy powder.
In any event, they are radial tires with over an inch of tread for about $100 a tire. That is hard to beat.

Reactions: mastrblastr

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I see they are no longer made by STI and now made by Ocelot.

I'm guessing Ocelot bought the rights and the molds from STI.
I wonder if they also matched the rubber compound that STI used to make them.

Not being true to size is what I believe killed their sales. They are excellent tires.

To get a 26" tall tire you had to step up to 27" and they jumped up in both price and weight.

My 26" BD were only 24" tall when half of the tread was gone. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Anyone have the new Ocelot BD XTRs? They are now owned by Chaparral Motorsports I found out. I called them and they said they use a bit softer rubber compound than before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Went looking for radials for my new Brute and I know prices have really gone up but wasn't ready for just how much! Saw this post that the Black Diamonds are back and decided that for the 27" for $100, that was the best deal around. With a coupon I was at $393 shipped to my door. I'm hoping the rubber compound and performance are the same as the previous version. Headed to get them mounted now. Just in case anyone is wondering, the 26" version runs very small, 27" gets you where you want to be.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread Automotive wheel system
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Tread

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hands-on they seem very similar but Chaparral says they have a softer compound. I haven't had a chance to test them as I'm waiting on my ECU back from being tuned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I've been riding on these Black Diamonds every day after work and first of all, I started at 7 PSI and went down several trails near the house and wasn't getting the flex I wanted nor the soft ride I expected. I then aired down to 5 PSI and it got better but when I aired down to 3 PSI, I found the sweet spot. At least for my setup 3 PSI was when they started to really respond. I obviously don't have a lot of miles on them but they are just as I remember them before - very controlled and excellent traction.
Also, something that has me very surprised, I have virtually ZERO wobble out of these. I dont know if I just got lucky or what but almost every setup I've had in the past I've had some kind of negative feedback at speed. Needless to say I'm very happy with this setup.

One more thing - called Elka today. They said check the website on the 21st because they will be running a promotion for anyone who is interested. (that would be me.)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
So I've been riding on these Black Diamonds every day after work and first of all, I started at 7 PSI and went down several trails near the house and wasn't getting the flex I wanted nor the soft ride I expected. I then aired down to 5 PSI and it got better but when I aired down to 3 PSI, I found the sweet spot. At least for my setup 3 PSI was when they started to really respond. I obviously don't have a lot of miles on them but they are just as I remember them before - very controlled and excellent traction.
Also, something that has me very surprised, I have virtually ZERO wobble out of these. I dont know if I just got lucky or what but almost every setup I've had in the past I've had some kind of negative feedback at speed. Needless to say I'm very happy with this setup.

One more thing - called Elka today. They said check the website on the 21st because they will be running a promotion for anyone who is interested. (that would be me.)
Let us know how much the promotion is. The price went up a few hundred dollars since I bought my stage 3's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts