Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
They'll probably charge for 8 hours labor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you have any mechanical aptitude at all it really isn't tough. I was a little intimidated by pulling a head, but if you follow the manual carefully it shouldn't be a big deal. I only have about 2 hours on mine since the re-install, but I'm leaving for the dunes tonight so we'll see how good my work holds up. Between the manual and the knowledge of the veterans on here, I would say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone while at work

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
All you need are basic hand tools,a set of feeler gauges, and a torque wrench. With the service manual download and all the info on here you should have no problem. Use a kawasaki oem gasket.

·
Registered
743 Posts

·
Banned
103 Posts
Diggin Riggin is exactly right. And yes you need a good torque wrench. And when doing all your bolts do then in order and do them in increments (10lbs20lbs 30lbs 35lbs) etc and wait a few minutes in between each one. Don't just set it to the max torque and do them once and that's it. You want even pressure and slowly tighten them down to make sure you got a good seal. Over torquing is never good.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Is it fairly easy to replace head gaskets (once you get all the plastics off and all that crap that takes forever..) But it does pay off. Either way it needs done and the garage will take their time and have lunch on you. They don't care and aren't afraid to take your money. Stealerships are not the way to go if u have a few tools and access to this site of infinite knowledge. Good luck and if you have any questions there's many people that will chime in and get you through it. I have a ton of pics of my complete rebuild so I can help you as well

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it just looking into everything about replacing the gasket. Like y'all said I need to get a torque wrench and I don't have one of those yet but I'll see what I'm going to do

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@NovaKaw650 a head gasket in the rear cylinder blew. Burning through oil and coolant. Antifreeze is a dark color and oil is like chocolate milk color. Inside exhaust is also white.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
if the oil is milky you may want to check the rod bearings and cylinders for scoring

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'd never been into an engine and did my valves, head gaskets, and timing chains this week. It took me about 12 hrs over 3 days to get it all put back together, but I was off work anyways, and back and forth with wife(neck surgery last week). You'll need 1\4" and 3/8" torque wrenches. The online manuals are great. Get one before you touch it. I took mine to work on a flash drive and printed out the top end,cooling,and lubrication sections. Easier to flip a page than scroll on a tablet with greasy hands.
Don't be intimidated by this. I was skeptical too, but when I hit the starter and she fired after about 3 seconds, I was all smiles! Got about 40 miles on it with no problems. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts