Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been having the issue of boiling gas and fuel dumping out of the tank vent line which terminates up by the bars within the plastic bar covers. Yesterday here it was 75 or so BTW im riding/live at 7500 ele.. I went up a few rocky trails bounching around a bit, and as usual on warm to hot days when I stop I sometimes hear crackling in the fuel tank. I fired it back up,rode up a embankment to do a turn around putting it at about a 35 degree uphill angle and when I backed down it came close to dying due to being flooded. Now gas was pouring out the overflow and down onto the area just behind the bars onto the engine and im thinking fire :0. The 35 degree angle has never been a problem riding up and over a hill on a long ridefor whatever reason. I'll also add I typically keep the gas tank topped off and at this point of the ride it was probably down 3/4 gallon. Anyone have this sort of issue and if so did you find a cure? Id be leary to mod the vent line and have it dump on the ground by the swing arm but I guess its and option. At least then Id say it catching fire is less likely.

·
Super Moderator
5,289 Posts
Well..first, the tank vent check valve should never let pressure or fluid out..no matter what the tank pressure. It's to allow air in as the pump take gas out so no vacuum occurs..so that' bad and must be replaced. Very common. Next. when there is some pressure on the tank...and although it seems a lot, it's only actually a couple of ounces, it's like pressure on the radiator, increases the boiling point..or in this case the point where the gas turns to vapor. So it does need that pressure from bouncing around. Two areas where the tank can get extra heat is the muffler and the CVT exhaust. You can add extra stick-on heat shield in those areas. The OE muffler also as a metal one that does need to be there and it can be increased or extended in size. I needed to on mine to shield my Elka on that side but it also helped on tank heat.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Bad tank check valve. I've had them go bad so many times that I finally just deleted it. Never had it happen again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts