Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Picked up my new 2009 BF750 Saturday. I was only able to put 1 hr on the meter Saturday in two 30 min rides. I let the engine warm up good before the first ride and pretty much followed the manual's break in instructions. I say pretty much because I am sure I hit more than half throttle a couple of times. After about 30 minutes of riding I shut it down and watched New Orleans beat up on Arizona til half time then started it up let it warm up good and again pretty much followed the manual. Sunday was a repeat of Saturday. At this rate it is going to take me 2 Wks to get through the break in period. I have read on this site the differing opinions on how to properly break in an engine and there seems there is no consinsous on what works best. I have plans to go to our land this coming weekend to ride and realy do not want to worry about harming my new ride. Our land has some big hills and a fair amount of muddy crossings. Should i hold off going until I am through the break in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have always been told whether breaking in a new sled, car, truck, atv, etc. that you want varying conditions and trail riding and not to rap it out. I think if you can avoid deep mud holes and stay off a lot of throttle (wide open) you will probably be ok. I have also been told not to hold it at a constant speed for too long so moderate trail riding should be good for it. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
281 Posts
different strokes for different folks, cars, fourhwheelers, boats, everything, if they get broke in pussy footing thats what there going to be used to, ive have ppl tell me both ways, ive heard more "run like you would any other day" , just remember thats you money sitting there and no one can make the decision but you, but if it was me, id ride the hell out of it!

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
No such thing as break in... besides cam break in which is done before you buy it.

Ride it like you stole it varying the throttle constantly without holding it pinned for very long.

I've said it a million times on here and I'll say it again.

Rings need to get seated. They need load to seat. The compression goes in between the piston ring lands (grooves) and forces the rings out against the cylinder bore. How does this happen? By loading the engine with throttle. Ride with varying throttle positions from 0-100%. Yes... 100% is wide open.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hammer down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ride it like you stole it varying the throttle constantly without holding it pinned for very long.
This.

I broke in my P700 by letting it warm up, then riding how I'd normally ride for 20 minutes. Let it sit for a while to cool down a bit, then give it another 20 minute run. Let it sit for a while one more time, then go nuts on it. I'd say I "broke it in" over the course of about 2 hours or so. Have 1000 miles or so on it now - and no issues to speak of.

·
Registered
169 Posts
how many hours does take it to break in a brute force?

·
Registered
104 Posts
they say 10 hrs to break it in . BUt i agree with camo ride it like you stole it .I rode mine after it warmed up varing the throttle for about 1 hr 30 mins.(Got tired of that)Then I wanted to see what it would do speed wise. so i hammered on it !! got about 200 hrs on it no problems yet.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When an engine is assembled at the factory ,they are build to the loose end of the spec's.This is because they know not everyone will break them in and the don't want warrenty problems.They are run at the factory for all of the critical break in ( cams).I would drive it normal. Just no full throttle off idle and vary speed .It will be fine.Then change oil after.

·
Registered
41 Posts
different strokes for different folks, cars, fourhwheelers, boats, everything, if they get broke in pussy footing thats what there going to be used to, ive have ppl tell me both ways, ive heard more "run like you would any other day" , just remember thats you money sitting there and no one can make the decision but you, but if it was me, id ride the hell out of it!
Drive it like you stole it (W.O.T).You don't see Nascar,or NHRA Top fuel cars Breaking in engines. :rock::rock:

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah i was just wondering as my 2010 Brute force 750 i just managed too put 4hrs and 16miles thus far.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let her eat!!!!!!!:d

·
Registered
375 Posts
Here's my take. While I agree that SOME of the break-in is done at the factory, I don't believe that it is COMPLETE. I'm a firm believer in heat-cycling, a quick oil and filter change after the first two hours {and inspection of the filter after you cut it in half}, and moderate throttle application up to WOT without letting it string out on the top end. Piston rings aren't the only part that needs to work-in. Bearing surfaces, gear faces, differentials, brakes, bushings etc. After the first oil change, do it again at 10, then you should be good to do whatever you want. NOW.....there are also political issues at stake when calculating break-in. Would you allow some 16 YO kid to purchase a 2010 ZX10R 9.8 second 1/4 mile bike and go out and let him have at it? NO WAY. There are as much "training hours" built into the break-in as actual mechanical break-in. I probably have as much seat time both with bikes and ATV's as anyone, and this Brute could be a handful with an inexperienced pilot, potentially dangerous. Even the "best" drivers can get caught off-guard with the power these things produce, even in stock form. Oh yea, one other thing....I'm a firm believer in synthetics right away at the first oil change. Never had a problem and probably won't....Amsoil 0w-40 is my choice. Only 15 hours on mine now.:D

·
Registered
169 Posts
love this site, always good info, keep it coming guys!!!!!!! you rock :rock:

·
Registered
40 Posts
yeah i never really ran my 650 in. let it warm up then just use it. this is also what the dealer said aswell. no probs so far

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The mechs. at my dealer told me to let it warm up real good, cool down, then warm again and forget it. I now have 34 hrs and 375 miles and no issues other than the wheelie habit it has formed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts