Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 brute 750 with a bad pick up coil. It has a short in it, when i shake the wires it kills the bike. I ordered a new coil, when it came in, i checked the ohms. The new coil only shows 135 ohms, i know thats not close to the original specs of a stock coil. My question is does that matter, or should the new coil be the same ohms as the stock specs? Im trying to learn so any advice would be helpfull.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have a 2008 brute 750 with a bad pick up coil. It has a short in it, when i shake the wires it kills the bike. I ordered a new coil, when it came in, i checked the ohms. The new coil only shows 135 ohms, i know thats not close to the original specs of a stock coil. My question is does that matter, or should the new coil be the same ohms as the stock specs? Im trying to learn so any advice would be helpfull.
Well, the book does say if it doesn't fall within the specs of 423-517 ohms to replace the coil. Are you sure the meter is set on x-100 ohms...and you are testing between the two leads as shown, and do you trust your meter? Meters can be off that much for lots of reasons. Try one other meter.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
sounds more like the plug or short in the wires, would take any sheilding off and inspect where you are shaking it.

when coils wear they get more resistance like wire less would likely be fine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, i do beleive it is a short in the wire, just thought i would replace the whole thing to make sure i fixed the wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts