Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Brute bogging out

8K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Camo Joe 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 BF 650 SRA only mod is cdi. It barely starts and runs. It boggs out really bad. Seems to be popping back through the air box. Put the stock CDI back in and doesn't help. It's full of premium gas. The air cleaner is fine, there is no oil in the cleaner. Took out the front plug and it looked good and dry. There is gas going into the carbs.

I'm having troubles to gt it to start now. I even put a little shot of starting fluid in the carbs and nothing happened. I did get it to run after that though. That's when I put the stock CDI in. Still took alot to get it to start then. I put the trickle charger on it and went baack an hour later and now I can't get it to even fire again.

This morning I rode it to my Parents house and let it idle for a while and when I come out it had died. I restarted it and it idled fine. Went to take off and it would barely spin the tires in reverse on hard pack snow. Took off for home and WOT it would only do about 31 mph.

#7 ·
carb

I would agree with above, that there is probably something in the jet in a carb. Sounds like what mine was doing when I had a small piece of dirt lodged in the jet in one of my carbs. Try cleaning them and see how it runs.

#9 ·
Clean means clean..................

Its best to not separate the carbs when you pull and clean them.........otherwise you will need to re-sync them............

You need to be a very thorough mechanic in order to attemped the carbs...............the carbs usually separates the men from the boys........

#10 ·
definately take your side plastics off and your airbox. Make sure you have a drain pan to for excess gas that will come out when you are moving it around. I would only use carb cleaner to clean it out, no break clean or anything, just carb cleaner. There are a lot of small pieces in the carbs, so make sure you are careful with them and keep track of them.

#13 ·
No problem, let us know how it goes and feel free to ask any more questions if you have any. Also watch the diaphrams cause I think they are pretty expensive to replace if you tear one. But aside from maybe inspecting them to make sure there is not rip or small hole in them, you shouldn't need to do anything with them (correct me if i am wrong anyone).

Good luck

#16 ·
When I did mine it actually took me taking them apart twice and cycling a bit of gas through to get them clean. I actually couldn't see the dirt the second time but I sprayed them down anyways and blew air through the jets and it ran like a charm after.

#19 ·
Got the carbs put back in. The Chokes had some crap in them. Cleaned them up got the gunk out and put some oil on them and put back. Tried to start it and it cranked and then bang. Probably the loudest backfire I've ever heard from a quad. Tried a little more and nothing.

#22 ·
I took the carbs back off tonight. The needle that goes throught the slide on top in the back carb is moving and it comes out of the hole and the slide is getting hung up. I will tear into it tomorrow when I have more time. I'm actually suprised how easily they come out and go back in the machine.

#27 ·
could be values, to tight , bent, stuck, with the backfire it could have blown some carbon deposit under the value causing it not to close(these things seem to have soft springs on them),i would do a compression test,

#28 ·
were the spark plugs black when you changed them?you can take some wet dry sandpaper1000 grit or higher clean up your choke plungers or rubbing compound then check them make sure they move good i also streched the springs on my choke plunger.i pulled my carbs off my 05 brute force a few times its frustrating.just a small piece of dirt can mess everything up did it run any better after the valves were adjusted?did the bike sit long?before you changed the gas?just throwing out some ideas.

#29 ·
were the spark plugs black when you changed them?you can take some wet dry sandpaper1000 grit or higher clean up your choke plungers or rubbing compound then check them make sure they move good i also streched the springs on my choke plunger.i pulled my carbs off my 05 brute force a few times its frustrating.just a small piece of dirt can mess everything up did it run any better after the valves were adjusted?did the bike sit long?before you changed the gas?just throwing out some ideas.

I have about 300 miles on the valve job. Mostly pushing snow, and 1 trail ride. No it hasn't been sitting much. Been plowing snow atleast twice a week. Yes the plugs were black and dry.

I finally took it into the dealer and they seemed puzzled. hopefully they can figure it out quickly and cheaply.

#30 ·
let us know i forgot sometimes the carbs are not tight on the rubber intakes you have to wiggle the carbs and make sure they are on the intakes properly.then make sure your clamps are tight hopefully they will figure it out for ya.just a little piece of dirt in carb makes a big problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.