Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first took my brute to the kaw shop last week to get all new wheel bearings and bushing in the rear because tires started to have play, well went riding all day sunday. Took my atv off the trailer to unload and noticed when backing up and turning the atv would have a popping noise in the rearend. Got to looking and a had a cv axle boot off, the clamp had came off. mud and stuff all in it. When rolling it back and turning it, it will not make the clicking/popping noise it seems like. But with it running and me giving throttle it will. Ive been reading some threads on sites and some people say first thing to do is take out cv clean it really good, grease it up and maybe that will help, sometimes there could be dirt grime or a rock or something causing it to click. But since this is a kawi forum and I know someone on here before has ran into this, I would rather take everyones opinion from here rather than the kawi shop. So any help would be greatly appreciated I need to get this brute back on the road before the weekend, got a big ride planned. Also dealing with cv axle and replacing that, is that something thats pretty simple and can do yourself? Even not being a good mechanic, cause damn 75 bucks a hour at kawi shop is wayyy tooo much...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright thats what I was gonna try to do, is this something pretty easy, whats the difference in axle and joint exactly?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay i gotcha, looking on ebay both are around the same price. If i need to replace it i'll probably go ahead and get the whole axle and keep my old one for parts or sale it..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the kaw shop, said they dont offer just the inner cv joint, that I would have to get the whole axle for $450.00 bucks. Im gonna try to take it lose and pack it full of grease tonite to see what happens. Ebay has them for $115.00 free shipping so i'll probably go that route if its still ticking. I noticed that the inner cv has a little bit of play not much at all but when off of a jack on the ground it doesnt have any at all. Is there a certain type of grease that I need to repack it with?

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
you can get rebuild kits. for under 100 bucks. I wouldnt trust a no name branded ebay axle. maybe made in china and snap easy then our out of an axle again.
if the dealer did all the work. I would before you go buying new parts, talk to them and see if they will replace it. under warranty. as they could have damaged it when pulling your machine apart. all it takes is a rough tech pushing an axle joint hard and twisting it more then it should go and put a tear into the boot.
use CV joint, graphit grease. most cv boot kits come with it. if not you can get it at an auto parts store. its not hard just messy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you point me in the right direction of getting the rebuild kit? I looked at my boot today and actually it along with the ring holding it on slid off, no tears nothing, now its just full of mud/sand...First step should I try and take it apart myself and clean it really good/grease it up before even taking it to the kaw shop. was hoping to be in the hills this weekend but may be out of luck....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would be raising hell with that kawi shop if i were you about replacing it. If they were working on it and didn't tighten the boot enough then they need to fix it. If the boot ripped thats one thing but if it just came off and they were the last to touch it then they did a piss poor job.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree with Whisky... Sounds to me like the kawi shop is the reason you are looking for a new axle. Dont go cheap on these axles as they tend to be a lasting problem once it starts if not handled properly. You might be ok for one ride to clean it and repack it. But I would definetly take it easy and order a new shaft or rebuild kit. You can obtain the grease at any parts house. Just ask for CV boot grease. Comes in a small tube. Just clean it out real good and repack. But it is going to need to be replaced. Once you get any kind of dirt in there they are shot... they are really sensitive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay thanks for the help. I found a inner cv rebuild kit that comes with everything I'll need to replace just the inner part for 89.95 on ebay, also found whole axle ready to be put in for 115.00...And its from (cv man) if anyone has heard from him on ebay, he actually had 100% positive feedback on everything. Im gonna jerk the axle out today by myself try and clean it up real good and pack it full of grease to see what happens, if have same problem ill probably end up getting the rebuild kit or whole cv sent to my house overnite i have a huge ride scheduled for the weeekend....this suckkksssss

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well i took my cv axle out today, cleaned up the inner part really well, had lots of mud/sand dirt in there but anyways i cleaned it all up, and packed it with some grease, its still doing same thing, also noticed my rear differential was lose, i could shake it left to right, i tightened the bolts up on it and its still clicking? is there anything possibly wrong with it other than the cv axle being shot? any other damage that could have happened?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its hard to say without looking at it. I doubt it.. but it sounds like your Kawi shop did a crappy job. You might want to call them and see what they are willing to do for you. I dont see your differential just coming loose like that. I guess it could happen, but unlikely

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From all the posts ive been reading it still sounds like its my cv axle needing replaced. If i drive straight it doesnt make the sound at all, but like when i put in reverse and put pressure on the wheel it will click. everything else runs fine, the 4-wheeler actually runs like normal just clicking in the rear on the one side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts