Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day i was running down the highway at about 60mph and all of a sudden (SNAP) my belt broke. I just bout the thing and have only rode it 5 times. I took it to the dealer and they said the guy before me may have put it under to much stress and wore the belt down. It only has 50 hrs and 200 miles on it. That seems like low usage for such a new model. Should i be having belt problems this early? All accessories are in signatrure. It had the SL's on it but i figured they were too big for it and would rather more speed than mud. So now i have had 25" mud lites on it.
Also it would hesitate when you pressed the gas and then it would go. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
Since you don't know how it was treated in it's prior life, just put a new belt on it and see what happens.
Does the engine mis-fire or hesitate, or is it more like a high stall clutch spring?

·
Registered
259 Posts
if it has stock clutch spring he might have been rough on that belt. try a new one and see

·
Registered
490 Posts
4 mph average???

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
was it an original Kawie belt????????????????????????

that is the big question!!

they can take a hell of a beating!!

any thing else WILL break!!!

look at that 1st!!!:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Belt light! How to reset switch? Help!

Well i got the new belt put on and rode it three times and seem to do completely fine then took it out last week and now my belt light is on and it wont go more than about 5 mph? Called dealer and he said the switch just needs to be reset. Can anyone please tell me how to reset the switch?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also the guy at the dealer said that the mileage on the bike could have made the switch trip. It has 52hrs on it and 200 miles. Does the belt light on these machines go off at certain hr marks or mileage points?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I doubt its the miles or the hours.
I run 27" tall tires with a stock clutch and have 75hrs/350 miles. Had the bike since it was new and no belt issues yet.

My guess is the prior owner abused it before installing the clutch kit and may have damaged the sheaves. If the sheaves become scared they can damage a new belt and not grip properly.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
Well i got the new belt put on and rode it three times and seem to do completely fine then took it out last week and now my belt light is on and it wont go more than about 5 mph? Called dealer and he said the switch just needs to be reset. Can anyone please tell me how to reset the switch?
Do a search.
Did you check the belt tension after you put on the new belt?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dont buy your belts from the dealers... huge mark up!! You can get one from Babbits for a great price! The dealer here wants 100.00 for a stock belt. I found another belt store that had it in stock for 48 dollars. That is rediculous! If you get a CDI they will usually override the switch. I dont know how to reset it. Search the maintenance section

·
Registered
27 Posts
You reset the switch by pulling off the clutch cover and flipping it back to the normal operation position. It is just a toggle switch mounted to the top/inside of the clutch cover. Its very simple.

·
Registered
247 Posts
No need to pull belt cover to reset, under your seat at the back there is two plugs one grey and one black.Switch the plugs ,then just on the top of your cover there is a rectangle black box.Behind that is a 2-wire plug,unclip it.Now turn on your ignition (but don't start) wait 5-10 seconds until the light stops flashing fast, turn the key off then plug everything back in it's proper place. Your done.

Stock set up : they are supposed to go into limp mode when the hours reach around 100. But sometimes due to on of throttle riding the belt will get tripped.
P.S. Change dealers!!!! if the guy wouldn't tell you how to reset properly then he 's an a**hole and just want's to charge you to do it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
also my dealer here charges around 70 for a belt which i dont think is really all that bad

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
No need to pull belt cover to reset,
If the switch is tripped he will need to pull the belt cover to reset the switch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Babbits has the belt for a great price. I want to say its 39 dollars... ? In any case it is waaay cheaper than any dealer is going to be! Check it out

·
Registered
123 Posts
Babbits has the belt for a great price. I want to say its 39 dollars... ? In any case it is waaay cheaper than any dealer is going to be! Check it out

What is this Babbits that you speak of? What brand belt do they sell for $39? I could use a new belt and it would be sweet to get one cheaper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the help

Alright thanks everyone for all this information. I ended up taking off the seat and switching the wires like Da Brute said to. I now have the complete brute force manual on a thumb drive. Well I did this a coulple of weeks ago and it turned the belt light off and ran fine FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS.... SNAP broken belt again. I have returned to afghanistan from my leave and its sitting at home with a broken belt. I got to talking to another guy here about it because he has an 09 model and I brought up the fact that it has a heavy duty clutch kit in it and had 29.5 swamp lites when I got it. After I got it I put stock size mud lites on it and he told me thats the problem. Its to heavy of a clutch for the little tires I have on it now vs. the big swamp lights I took off. I kinda thought about this theory myself but didnt know as this is the first kawasaki I have owned. Can anyone else elaborate on this? Is the clutch kit causing my belts to break? I do have the original clutch springs and clips i guess you call them. The guy before had the clutch kit put in when he purchased it from the dealership. Thanks for any information.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any idea why then?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts