Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started on a new build on my 2009 Brute Force. This won't be to the extent that Venomous did.....not even close, lol.
Last 2 times I checked valves, the intakes were tight, so it was time to replace valves. If I was going that far, there was no way I wasn't going to add more power ;)
The only parts that arrive so far were the valves, Wheels, and the EZ Steer kit. The EZ Steer kit should be a fair amount easier to install with the engine removed. Ill probably get that in place this weekend.
I have a set of cylinders sent off to Mickey at FST to be bored, replated, and O-ringed. I'll be going with his new Wossner Coated 89mm (820cc) pistons. The Plastics will be a different color, but the color is still undecided.
I can only pick away at this on weekends if I'm lucky, but I still hope to be completed by early, to mid Sept.
I'll post pics as the build progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Sounds like fun.
I'm with you.....if you have to fix something, might as well add some fun stuff while you're in there. Then you're upgrading rather than repairing.:wink2::grin2:
I'll bet when she's done that those front tires will be hard to keep on the ground.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Started on a new build on my 2009 Brute Force. This won't be to the extent that Venomous did.....not even close, lol.
Last 2 times I checked valves, the intakes were tight, so it was time to replace valves. If I was going that far, there was no way I wasn't going to add more power ;)
The only parts that arrive so far were the valves, Wheels, and the EZ Steer kit. The EZ Steer kit should be a fair amount easier to install with the engine removed. Ill probably get that in place this weekend.
I have a set of cylinders sent off to Mickey at FST to be bored, replated, and O-ringed. I'll be going with his new Wossner Coated 89mm (820cc) pistons. The Plastics will be a different color, but the color is still undecided.
I can only pick away at this on weekends if I'm lucky, but I still hope to be completed by early, to mid Sept.
I'll post pics as the build progresses.
Cool looking forward to seeing your progress

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Cant wait to see some of the build pics - thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't get much, if anything accomplished since initial post. I already had heads removed, so out of curiosity, I inverted the heads, and filled combustion chamber with water to see what valves were leaking. I knew I had a leaking valve because the engine developed a stumble at idle, and had some minor popping. I had one intake valve leaking very badly. WAY more than i expected.
In the first picture, you can see the water droplets leaking past the valve. the last picture is the leaking valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like fun.
I'm with you.....if you have to fix something, might as well add some fun stuff while you're in there. Then you're upgrading rather than repairing.:wink2::grin2:
I'll bet when she's done that those front tires will be hard to keep on the ground.
It wasn't hard to lift the wheel's with the standard bore!! I really don't see a reason to need any additional power, but I still can't help myself lol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took my cylinder heads in to be resurfaced, and to have the intake seats touched up. I went with Kibblewhite valves. I was able to lap them in last night. The shop who resurfaced my heads did an excellent job of touching up the seats, so lapping was a breeze to get sealing surfaces within spec.

I also got new valve seals. I went with Kibblewhite seals as well. This was the first time I've used them, but IMO, they are better quality than OEM Kawi valve seals. I'm sure OEM seals will suffice, but these Kibblewhite seals seem to fit on guide tighter, and also seem to seal better on the stem.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I like the the looks of the kibblewhite seals. Might have to order a set when I do the rings on my rear cylinder this winter.
Let us know how the kibblewhite valves work. I've had two sets of them, and neither lasted more than 500 miles before they were toast.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up on the valves. I usually read reviews prior to any purchases, but for some reason I didn't for these valves. I fully assumed they were a reliable replacement. Late last night I did a google search on these valves and see there are tons of people having issues with them. I will likely go get some OEM valves instead (should have in the first place). really don't want these wearing out prematurely.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the valves. I usually read reviews prior to any purchases, but for some reason I didn't for these valves. I fully assumed they were a reliable replacement. Late last night I did a google search on these valves and see there are tons of people having issues with them. I will likely go get some OEM valves instead (should have in the first place). really don't want these wearing out prematurely.
NovaKaw650 has kibblewhite valves, and hasn't had any problems. But after two bad sets myself, I wouldn't risk using them again. Either they were too soft, or the Kawie seats are just too hard.
The current OEM valves are good. You probably won't even have to make any valve lash adjustments for many thousands of miles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, sorry I didnt keep this discussion up to date. The build took a lot longer than I had anticipated. First start was Dec 28th. Had a hard time finding any free time to pick away at it for the first few months. The engine basically sat on the bench for months. I'll post the only two pictures I took. I've had it out on a couple break in rides, but that was a early January. Still picking away at the tuning. Tuning is close, but still needs some adjustments. Tuning is very time consuming. There sure is no shortage of power from the 820. A stock 2018 Can Am 1000R was no match for it. Rolling start, I let the Can Am take a few bike lengths before I pinned it. Zero issue reeling him in and blowing his doors off.

·
Registered
742 Posts
How much was everything you needed for the 820

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't remember off the top of my head. ball park in CAD, maybe around $1200 for Pistons and Cylinders??? check with Four Stroke tech if you want exact pricing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I can't remember off the top of my head. ball park in CAD, maybe around $1200 for Pistons and Cylinders??? check with Four Stroke tech if you want exact pricing.
Thanks ill take a look

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
It spanked a 1000r by just using bigger pistons and a tuner? No aftermarket cams? No clutching?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't know how he came up with $1200 because I looked on the website and its 774 for the 820 kit plus cams. I wanted to know how much a cost for everything for him to complete the job kit and everything

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I already had Cams. I was running a TRP Standard bore kit (11.5 : 1 JE Pistons and MegaCycle Cams, along with a long list of other add ons) prior to installing the 820. I used the same TRP cams.
As I stated regarding price, it's a ballpark price in CAD. Do a conversation from USD if you want to know roughly your dollar. Mickey doesnt include head gaskets in big bore Kits. That's additional. I also had to pay shipping to Canada, and pay duty across the boarder. $1200 CAD is a pretty good ballpark price. So if you really want to know exactly what a kit would cost, call Mickey at Four Stroke tech. He will tell you exactly what he charges for everything you'd need to your door.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It spanked a 1000r by just using bigger pistons and a tuner? No aftermarket cams? No clutching?
Look at my signature. 89mm pistons, TRP Cams, VFJ Stage 3 clutch with adjustable weights, VFJ Injectors, MSD, Muzzy Pro etc, etc, etc

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
That makes more sense.;) I have sigs turned off.
You didn't happen to get a video of the race did you?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That makes more sense.;) I have sigs turned off.
You didn't happen to get a video of the race did you?
No Vid, but it's burned into the memory bank. I'm not a trash talker, so I kept to myself afterwards. The Can Am owner is a trash talker. He was very quiet after the race!!! When the guys asked who won, he just muttered under his breathe that the 820 worked better than he expected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts