Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a 2005 Brute force 650 that I recently picked up for $800. Dont know anything about it other then it lost compression. I just recently rebuilt the top end. I started it up and it fired fine. I let it warm up and then went to drive it and it will not move. It goes into gear fine, but makes a grinding noise. Not like grinding the gear but like something is loose grinding and it will not move. I also noticed the MPH goes up as if it was moving... I clicked the 4x2/4x4 switch and put it in 4x4. For some reason I figured id try it in 4x4. It moved fine both forward and reverse. I put it back in 2x4 and same thing, wouldnt move. I dont know much about the driveline of this quad but it sounds almost as if there is two pulleys and whatever runs between the two is off..But it is weird that the thing moves in 4x4... Also, I checked the rear diff oil and it was bone dry. I fill with some oil and noticed it all pouring on the ground. There is a small hole in the bottom of the diff. Would not having any fluid in the rear end cause this or what could it be? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
id start by checking if the rear drive shaft fron the trans is moving if it moves as it should sounds like it might have ruined the rear end

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Ill try that. Is there a ujoint or something inside the rear end that maybe could be worn out? It almost sounds as if the drive shaft is moving but not connected to anything in the rear end and its just slapping around...

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
assuming you took the engine out, the rear shaft that hooks the diff to the engine output is a big pain in the butt to get right. if its not, alot easier to take the swing arm off to get some room, if its a sra, you didnt say.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
2005 should be sra model i think 06 was first yr for 650i

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sounds like the rear pinion nut backed off and the gears ate one another. Thats what happened to mine. Drain the diff and look for shavings.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have a few rear diffs that are good pm me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry yes its the Solid rear axle. I actually did the top end with the motor in the frame. I thought about draining the oil and checking, but there is a small hole in the bottom of the rear diff so its bone dry in there. Would my best bet be to just take the swing arm off and make sure everything's lined up?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
No real way to misalign anything as long as the drive shaft is in there. That diff is blown. Get up with brute840 who posted earlier. I'm running one of his units for the last 3000 miles. Great guy and fast shipper.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have one where are you located may be closer to you

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Yes they are easy to change out not a hard job

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
if i remember right it was a real big allen i didnt have, for the front bolts. and they were in there pretty good. might want to get some bearings to put in while you got it apart depending on how hard it was rode and conditions might be time anyway. really pretty straitforward the driveshaft access is the only PITA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts