Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just finished replacing the tie rods/ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, wheel bearings, and the front and rear diff fluid on my 2011 FVF750D i purchased about 3 weeks ago. Naturally, after all that time and work I wanted to take it for a ride. I made it about 200 yds and the whole quad shut down on me. The display and headlights shut off along with the engine and there was no restarting it. I noticed while I was pushing it back into the garage that when the key was on and wheels were turning that the display would come on intermittently. I left it on the battery charger overnight but have not had a chance to check it yet. So, I am asking the wise people here at kawieriders if you have ever experienced something similar. Or if this sounds like a problem any of you are familiar with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check fuses. There is a main fuse. Mine are under the seat. But mine is 2007.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you know the impedance of the main fuse? or is it advisable to pull them all and check? I just found it strange that the lights and gauge pod would come on while I was pushing it back into the garage like it was getting power somehow. I will be checking the battery charger when I leave for work in about a half hour.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Check the fuse in the starter solenoid. It should be a 30A fuse if you pop the harness going into it. If the terminals in the plug of the solenoid get loose or corroded, it will break contact, sometimes causing the dash to flicker and/or shut off, and cause the bike to lose power.

If the fuse feels loose, take a blade or flathead screwdriver and gently push the prongs together to make it tighter when you insert the fuse.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Sounds like you have a poor or loose ground connection somewhere probably on the frame or battery. And check the fuses and fuse wires going to the fuses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i now know what caused the problem. i just dont know what sort of issue that its caused. i pulled my seat off and noticed some melted wire casings. traced the wires and found loose ends where the winch is, and none connected to the winch. im guessing something grounded out or shorted. will have to do a little more investigating. Thank you all for the suggestions

·
Registered
8 Posts
well i now know what caused the problem. i just dont know what sort of issue that its caused. i pulled my seat off and noticed some melted wire casings. traced the wires and found loose ends where the winch is, and none connected to the winch. im guessing something grounded out or shorted. will have to do a little more investigating. Thank you all for the suggestions

I discovered a similar issue with a Bayou I just purchased. The good news in this case is that a ground out scenario like that will usually not affect other electronics, other than not sending power to them.

I would bet once you replace the overheated wiring and fix the short to ground issue that you would have no further problems. fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping it didn't affect any more than the wiring to the winch wich I plan to remove anyway. I will upload pictures of what I found this morning when I finish up with work for the evening. maybe that will give you guys a little better insight into what I'm dealing with. When I bought the Brute the guy who had it before me had all sorts of ridiculous gadgets (ie: la Cucaracha air horn with air tank) and toys and lights on it that I'm trying to get rid of to return the unit to stock configuration. It wouldn't have been so bad had he done a somewhat professional job installing these things....gotta love the people that are more interested in fitting unnecessary gadgets than in routine maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

While rooting around under my seat I found this inline fuse and relay. Anyone have any idea what this could be for?i was able to remove all the wiring for the winch and some sort of control box but still no power even though the fuses are good. Saw a few sparks while reinstalling the 30amp fuse after checking so I assume it's getting power. Still no electricity anywhere else on the bike though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not sure what is happening there. I'd chase down a wiring diagram. I'd also check where you saw sparks for a short or a bare wire grounding out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure what is happening there. I'd chase down a wiring diagram. I'd also check where you saw sparks for a short or a bare wire grounding out.

That spark was inside the fuse box when I started to insert the fuse so I assume the fuse box is getting power. I chased down that relay and it went to a set of speakers the previous owner had mounted on the front rack. He also relocated the battery (replaced with a small car battery) in the rear rack storage box. I will be running a new ground off the battery to the frame tomorrow after work. Also the ground for the solenoid. If that doesn't work then I am out of ideas.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You seem to be doing what I would do. If you figure it out let us know.

You guys will be the second to know. Could the ecu cause issues like this? If it were to have gotten damaged when the winch wires shorted and burned up?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Possibly. Could try a buddy's cdi box. I switched to a dynatec but kept original just in case

Unfortunately all my friend are Arctic cat and can am guys. Could a dealer test this? I noticed another box under the seat along with the ecu. On bike bandit it's listed as control unit. But I am not sure which is which

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.