Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there guys, im a little angry at the moment. I have a 08 Brute that i just put up for sale yesterday with hopes of buying a new bike. Never had a power issue before. I had this old guy here an hour ago looking at the bike and im not sure if he pulled on a wire or its a freak coincidence but after he and his wife left i went back out to move the bike and when i turned the key and turned on the power there was no power signal sound, it usually does a little buzz and beep kind of thing. I had the seat off and when i hit the ignition button there was a pop from where all the power runs to from the battery located under the mid seat. I reset it and tried again, same thing. The display was flashing and not displaying all the info. I finally shut everything off and used the pull start(which i just explained to him i have never even tried) the bike started but the display was all fucky, at first did not even light up. So i shut it down and tried again, no start and another pop from the module under the seat. No power to the display at all. So i then pull started it and let it run, then the same thing tried to restart normally using the ignition button, NOTHING!!!
-No power or any response when you turn the key.
-Nothing when you use the push start.
-No ignition noise.
*Pull start does start the bike. I dont have a manual and I dont even think thats going to help, i cant afford to start running though everything replacing parts now. What the sweet F_G is up, does anybody have any idea? He was under the front end messing around but i didnt consider he would be yanking wires, i already checked that nothing hanging there unplugged. I tried to push any of the wire plugs together but nothing seems loose. I have the worse damn luck, this is unreal.FML

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Dead battery or bad connection to the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I did consider this, but it did have full power only minutes before. Good Input though, i will charge it and respond later. Anybody else if you have ideas please keep em rippin.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
I did consider this, but it did have full power only minutes before. Good Input though, i will charge it and respond later. Anybody else if you have ideas please keep em rippin.
Check all your connections and fuses. It's NOT getting power from the battery even if the battery is good. I'm thinking a connection rather than fuse, because if a fuse was blown it shouldn't start at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news, thank you for the battery suggestion. I honestly thought i was nuts to think it could be the battery but for whatever reason it drained when idleing for maybe an hour yesterday before but drained the battery? Is this normal, does it need to be crank up and riden for the volts to get high enough to charge? I thought because it was runnning that it was charging but obviously not. It hadent been riden for a couple weeks and then prior. Much better scenario than something busted. My Mustang has a high output alternator that doesnt charge until above 2500 rpms, i didnt consider the bike to be the same. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
It will charge some at an idle, but the battery was probably weak already, and may have gotten worse. Plus, if it was idling all that time, then the fan was probably running as well, and it takes a fair amount of power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep

ya boy, you nailed it. Fan was running. Im just glad its not broken.
It will charge some at an idle, but the battery was probably weak already, and may have gotten worse. Plus, if it was idling all that time, then the fan was probably running as well, and it takes a fair amount of power.

·
Registered
12,395 Posts
Good to hear; it's an easy fix.

·
Registered
266 Posts
the heat here in AZ will kill a batt in a heartbeat! i keep a trickle charger on mine all the time. I never expect a battery to last more than a year here. Thank God there are cheaper replacements other than Genuine Kaw parts from the stealership!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A little off topic here but I had an old ford truck that I put an engine in after sitting up for years. Alternator tested bad so I replaced it. New one tested bad as well. Parts store tested it good. I put it back on thinking I had other troubles. We got truck running and while standing around with tester on it, I reached over and rushed the engine. The tester jumped from 12 to 14.5 volts! I turned the idle up from 700 to 850 and never had another problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts