Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again chasing a weird problem and want to get all the facts before buying parts.

Problem 1:
Every ride where we go through deep water, I end up with water in my front diff. Not a ton of water, but water nonetheless. Changed seals several times, no luck. All seals and tubes are tight to diff. When I drain the diff after a ride, oil is milky.

Problem 2:
Front right axle has slack in the spline where it enters the diff. You can move the cup up and down much more than you can on a new bike (I have checked).

Suspect:
When I pull the drain plug on the diff, the oil drains like it would if you were pouring water out of a bottle. Liquid out, air in, liquid out, air in, etc. In other words, there is no other source allowing air in while the oil is draining. HOWEVER, when I push up on the front right axle cup, oil drains faster. Air leak introduced. I suspect the water is getting in here.

The Ask:
Anyone who has a BruteForce 750 (or equivalent bike that has this same axle), has the axle out, and access to a micrometer, can you please measure the smooth section in-between the cup and the splines on the shaft that goes into the diff? Mine has some wear from previous abuse and it measures .864". The 5/8"socket that I stuck in there and has the correct amount of play measures .868". I want to know if an otherwise good axle actually measures somewhere around .868". If so, then I can buy an axle and solve my issue. If not, then I am out of solutions!

Been fighting this for months. Any help would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an update to this and if anyone else has the issue, here is the outcome. The tech at Rocky Mountain ATV was the ONLY person out of 14 attempts with about 9 companies, to take the time to measure a new axle for me. For that I am grateful! He confirmed that the shaft size is .868", so it is plausible that my .004" of leak causing excessive slack will be rectified by a new axle. I ordered a Tusk replacement (had very good reviews) and some new tie rod ends (popped one on the ride this past weekend).

If you are looking for a place with great customer service, Rocky Mountain ATV is a great choice.

Will post back after I get it in.

Attachments

Reactions: Swanny52

·
Registered
834 Posts
As an update to this and if anyone else has the issue, here is the outcome. The tech at Rocky Mountain ATV was the ONLY person out of 14 attempts with about 9 companies, to take the time to measure a new axle for me. For that I am grateful! He confirmed that the shaft size is .868", so it is plausible that my .004" of leak causing excessive slack will be rectified by a new axle. I ordered a Tusk replacement (had very good reviews) and some new tie rod ends (popped one on the ride this past weekend).

If you are looking for a place with great customer service, Rocky Mountain ATV is a great choice.

Will post back after I get it in.
I've been shopping on Rocky Mountain for years I absolutely love them you can't beat their prices and the rewards cash is great

1 - 3 of 3 Posts