Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying new mule pro fxt. Can save about 800 bucks buying base model and having dealer add aftermarket power steering kit from super atv vs buying base model with stock power steering. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket? Any advantage to one over the other

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my pro fxt w/o power steering.
Strictly from a price point. I wanted p/s but not rest of "options" that made it 2k more.
I thought it steers and drives fine, with little effort....for me. However my 110lb wife struggled with it.

I add the Super ATV kit, very easy install, great detailed instructions with pics. Total time about 3 hours
I think it's like $650
Now she can steer it dead stopped with 1 finger.... happy wife!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Buying with factory installed EPS, seems to high a price increase for EPS verses aftermarket.
Another option to check is the cost of buying the used factory EPS from a salvaged machine. It would HAVE to be less than aftermarket for me to consider that route.
I bought an FXR, because I wanted the shorter length and wheel base. Almost $3 more than a base FX :mad: ! Of all the "extras" it included, I only wanted EPS and the roof. I would have rather had the option to buy a BASE FXR. I also would have liked 14" wheels from the Teryx, instead of 12" wheels.
If I could have bought a base FXR, I would have added a roof, EPS, and 14" wheels and been done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought my pro fxt w/o power steering.
Strictly from a price point. I wanted p/s but not rest of "options" that made it 2k more.
I thought it steers and drives fine, with little effort....for me. However my 110lb wife struggled with it.

I add the Super ATV kit, very easy install, great detailed instructions with pics. Total time about 3 hours
I think it's like $650
Now she can steer it dead stopped with 1 finger.... happy wife!

This is the route I am leaning towards, buying a base w/o power steering and adding the kit. Seems like you dont get much else for the $2000 increase to the next model. I'm guessing yours does not have tilt steering? Did you find that to be an issue for you or your wife?

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is the route I am leaning towards, buying a base w/o power steering and adding the kit. Seems like you dont get much else for the $2000 increase to the next model. I'm guessing yours does not have tilt steering? Did you find that to be an issue for you or your wife?
Correct, no tilt steering, wife is ok with that, but I'm not sure I mentioned it, lol

The kit is not hard to install. Comes with all hardware, powder coated brackets and sealed wiring harness/connector's

·
Registered
258 Posts
How did the wiring connect to your Mule? Just a 12v to the battery and a ground wire? Or did the Mule have an unused connector for EPS?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kit came with a main power harness that went to battery.
There's a loose OEM unused ingition source wire connector under hood for control module. The control module mounts under hood just in front of driver.
All wiring and connections look factory, and water tight.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks like tilt steering can be added by replacing the fixed bar (Kawasaki calls it a "stopper, P/N 32085-0749 $27.65) with the Gas spring damper P/N 92161-1825 $42.58 from Kawasaki. For less than $15 more (using Kawasaki list prices), they could have included tilt steering?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thinking about purchasing the power steering kit from SuperATV, is there anything about the unit they you don't like? It looks like all of the reviews are good. Anyone have any long term reviews (not recent install reviews)?

For those that have installed the kit, do you have any pointers or tips to make installation easier/quicker? Does the windshield have to be removed to install the kit?

Is the tilt steering really just swapping out the existing fixed bar with the damper? Is the "adjustment lever" attached to the damper? Wasn't really thinking about tilt steering, but if it only costs $45 then it might be a good addition.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks to me like the damper comes with the lever to adjust it. There is a seller on eBay with a good picture. They are asking $98, So Kawasaki's price does not look bad.

·
Vendor
186 Posts
I'll just go ahead and say it...ours is better. Lol! :p Not like I'm biased or anything....

The install is pretty straight forward. Look at the instructions before you get started, and get it prepped. The longest part is dealing with the plastics. Its about a 2-3 beer installation. I can get you a discount if you want to go direct though me, unless your dealer is getting you hooked up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thinking about purchasing the power steering kit from SuperATV, is there anything about the unit they you don't like? It looks like all of the reviews are good. Anyone have any long term reviews (not recent install reviews)?

For those that have installed the kit, do you have any pointers or tips to make installation easier/quicker? Does the windshield have to be removed to install the kit?

Is the tilt steering really just swapping out the existing fixed bar with the damper? Is the "adjustment lever" attached to the damper? Wasn't really thinking about tilt steering, but if it only costs $45 then it might be a good addition.
My SuperATV kit has been on for little over a year.
Zero issues.
Yes windshield has to come off, as well as front plastic and dash, but it's held on by a bunch of plastic push pins. Instructions are very detailed with pics.
Only need basic hand tools.

I'm curious about the tilt steering. If all it takes is installing the gas spring, I'm in.
Less than 50 bucks from partszilla.

Anybody got a picture of the OEM set up? Or added this spring to make it tilt?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll just go ahead and say it...ours is better. Lol! Not like I'm biased or anything....

The install is pretty straight forward. Look at the instructions before you get started, and get it prepped. The longest part is dealing with the plastics. Its about a 2-3 beer installation. I can get you a discount if you want to go direct though me, unless your dealer is getting you hooked up.
I can confirm the specified amount of alcohol needed to install kit.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My SuperATV kit has been on for little over a year.
Zero issues.
Yes windshield has to come off, as well as front plastic and dash, but it's held on by a bunch of plastic push pins. Instructions are very detailed with pics.
Only need basic hand tools.

I'm curious about the tilt steering. If all it takes is installing the gas spring, I'm in.
Less than 50 bucks from partszilla.

Anybody got a picture of the OEM set up? Or added this spring to make it tilt?

Here the one for sale on eBay. It has the mounting hardware too.
Muletilt2.JPG

·
Registered
8 Posts
I ordered the tilt steering gas damper and installed it at the same time as I installed the power steering kit. The tilt steering was a piece of cake.

On the power steering kit, where/how did you run the wires back to the battery? There appears to be an empty corrugated conduit that runs from the front of the machine back to the battery, but I can't get the cables through it, it feels like something is blocking the conduit about 12"-18" from the battery location.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks for verify the tilt can be easily added (y)
I would try running a wire from the battery end of the conduit and using that wire to pull the wires for the steering through the conduit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts