Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with or has experienced as well.

The story goes like this, I bought this Mojave (1997) from a friend and used it to around the house, all was well until the kick starter had a problem (this is for the benefit of those that might have the same issue), took off the clutch side cover and realized that the shaft that the idler gear runs on broke off. So that meant splitting the cases and replacing the shaft.

So I did that and replaced the rings while I was there and now that I have it back together, I notice that the cam chain is extremely loose, so much so that it won't work like that, this thing ran great before I started this tear down, so I measure the chain like the book says (distance between 21 pins), seems to be in tolerance, the chain guides look good, I even backed the tensioner out all the way and it still doesn't come close to taken the required slack out. I think I have everything in correctly, took it back apart and went thru it one more time. So not sure if there is something that I have missed or the chain is that bad and I just checked it wrong or what. If I was to suspect anything it would be the idler pulley that might have the wear but I'm not sure. I want to narrow it down before I just start replacing parts and again, it worked great before I pulled it apart so I don't think it was that bad and I just got lucky, but who knows.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks John

·
Registered
387 Posts
is your adjuster in right cus when i was puttin mine together its was tricky to get it in there right.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
It has to just be together wrong. Parts don't wear out that quickly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
adjuster

i took a closer look at mine today and noticed that the spring inside was not decompressing all the way the lil screw inside was jamed so i set it aside and put on another adjuster i had on my spare engine and all is well this hope helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New Cam Chain

Got mine running today, it was the cam chain. It was wore out. I ordered the new one and put it in and it fit just like it was suppose to. The crazy thing is prior to the new chain, with the engine on the bench the old chain was so loose you couldn't rotate the engine with out the chain jumping on the sprockets. What really threw me off was that it ran good before I tore it down to fix the tranny. So I just new it couldn't be the cam chain but it was. So now I'm back up and running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts