Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John. Over the years, I have managed to set my Kawaski Prairie 650 & Brute 750's to engage smoothly with larger 27" tires. I have two friends I ride with that have Can Am Max machines. They keep asking me if there is a simple solution to what I, & they, consider the ignorantly abrupt engagement lurch on their machines.

One has a 2010 Max 800 with Carlisle 26" ACT radial tires & the other is a 2013 Max 1000 LTD with 28" Swamplites. The 1000 almost spits the flooring out of his cargo trailer when loading & i don't dare stand within 2' of it when he is maneuvering. The 800 is almost as bad.

They both like to ride, not wrench, so I would have to set the clutches up for improvements & I know diddley about the Can Am clutches. & they are good friends, but not enuf for me to commit serious modification time on their machines.

They already have insane power & neither one needs, or desires, more power, or more anything, except smoother take off engagament.

Is there a simple solution to smoothing out this problem?

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts
The solution is the operator's right thumb.
A group of us were clearing a trail on Saturday; there were two older guys along that were both riding CanAm 800's, one a Max, the other was a one-up. This was all very slow stop-and-go riding, and they seemed as smooth as anything out there.
They need to ride my 650 when I've got it set up to engage at around 2500rpm's, then they would feel really good about their CanAms.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A $700US new clutch ( belay that, a $800 Can after exchange rate) is not my idea of a simple solution. Well it would actually be a relatively simple easy replacement solution, just a bit of a price grunt. & don't think throttle control is a solution either. The stall is so bad I cannot do a smooth takeoff any better than they can. Think I will just stay safely back from them. Will ask the local Get Torqued Can-Am guru crazies, but they will want to put them on the dyno and increase the HP by 50%. Then I would stay far, far back. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts
A $700US new clutch ( belay that, a $800 Can after exchange rate) is not my idea of a simple solution. Well it would actually be a relatively simple easy replacement solution, just a bit of a price grunt. & don't think throttle control is a solution either. The stall is so bad I cannot do a smooth takeoff any better than they can. Think I will just stay safely back from them. Will ask the local Get Torqued Can-Am guru crazies, but they will want to put them on the dyno and increase the HP by 50%. Then I would stay far, far back. lol
How do your friends' Can Am clutch engagement compare to your 750, when your 750 was stock? I noted above that you thought your stock 750 was too abrupt as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my new 2013 had the most abrupt stock engagement of the three Kawi Twins I have owned. But even with Daltons spring kit for the 12 & up 750's with Orange/blue primary (stronger than the blue one that woke up our 02 Prairies with 27" tires) and plain/purple secondary (same one as in the Prairie) my stall now is very minor, probably mostly due to the washers I put on the cover bolts between the primary cover and moveable sheave. It reduces the unengaged belt/sheave gap from 3 mm to about .6mm and really softens the engagement. But the stock setup was a pansy compared to my buddys Can Ams. They try to dig holes on engagement and the 1000 will spit the outdoor carpet on the floor of his cargo trailer about 2" out the back if he has to stop & start again when loading. We usually put the 1000 & my Kawi side by side in his 8' 6" wide cargo trailer. Its, a snug fit. His goes in first. I wont hazard mine being anywhere near it when he is loading. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,566 Posts
It's the washers. I have the o/b, the blue and a '12 stock spring. The stock spring has the least/no stall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts