Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having a real, rider-controlled front diff lock was one of a couple deal breakers for me in the Can Am brand. Well look what they came up with for 2021...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Awesome! Pretty sure my old 650 had that locking diff thingy in——-I don’t know——2002! It was amazing back then when my buddy’s on their Honda’s were getting stuck and I’d grab that little yellow lever and roost right past them!

Good to see Canam finally getting on the bandwagon. You don’t always need true four wheel drive, but when you need it, you need it.

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome! Pretty sure my old 650 had that locking diff thingy in——-I don’t know——2002! It was amazing back then when my buddy’s on their Honda’s were getting stuck and I’d grab that little yellow lever and roost right past them!

Good to see Canam finally getting on the bandwagon. You don’t always need true four wheel drive, but when you need it, you need it.
Yep, Polaris is now the only brand with auto lockers. They'll never change that either because then they'd have to dump AWD too.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ehh dont ever see myself getting a canam. I love my brute to much

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
990 Posts
I always like adding to it. Got heated grips for christmas I cant go another year without them. Adding a new brakelight as well.

Reactions: mastrblastr

·
Registered
990 Posts
Just put an order in for A-arm bushing from Revz Cycles.

Got these air box seals and belt box seals to try out to.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If my BF ever dies I will be looking real hard at a new CanAm Max.

When the going gets tough its 20% machine, 20% tires and 60% driver.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just put an order in for A-arm bushing from Revz Cycles.
Good luck with that man. I just did mine and it was a complete PITA. Freeze the new bushings before you put them in. Hardest part was driving the old bearings out. Mine were rusted in there good. My two front lower A arm bearings were good, but the rear bearing in the front lower a arm was weird. So i left the good ones and just greased them good. Worse part was getting in there and tearing everything down and realizing that my ball joints were bad, then i figured i might as well do the wheel bearings, and brake pads. Took way too long. Hope you have a good vice or a press, the shape of the knuckle/ a arms makes the job a chore.

Definitely make sure you install grease fittings now that you are installing bushings. This was the easiest part of the whole thing. Good luck!

·
Registered
990 Posts
What ball joints are you using ? I have spare front and rear wheel bearings but no extra ball joints.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I worked for a dealership that sold Yamaha and Kawasaki, for 28.5 years

In those almost 3 decades I never once had to go into a Yamaha front diff or even the diff drive, including Rhino, Wolverine, Viking, Grizzly, YXZ and then more recently the X2 and Rmax. Kawasaki's were mostly bulletproof until the Prairie 650, had to go into about a dozen of those, some had to be replaced totally. Generally, owner would engage it while the rear wheels were spinning at mach 2.6 and bang, stuff breaks. Sometimes the diff spider gears were trashed or seized to the cross pin.

I got burned out with the 4 brands that they had at that dealer and moved on. Now at Polaris. In 3 months, I've already had to replace 3 diff's 2 drive shafts, multiple axles, etc. BUT...Polaris also has a good bit more power than Kawi and Yamaha so that may be part of it. The Polaris AWD system is a joke, I mean it works but it's more complex than it really needs to be. Should've taken Yamaha's approach. Mechanically LOCKED when you choose one of the two diff modes (4x4 or 4x4/diff lock). Then there is no questioning whether it's working or not.

We're taking on can-am this Spring. The visco lock is going to be new to me. I've been around can-am a little bit, but not nearly enough. Neither has the service manager so we're all in for a lot of learning. I hope it's more reliable than Polaris, and hope it works better overall. Theres things I like about Polaris, and there's things that make me go what in the world were you thinking when you designed this???

I still prefer Yamaha for a SxS, sure liking the Rmax. I like it better than I do the General but the General 4 seater destroys the Rmax 4 seater in terms of backseat comfort. The front seat is pretty nice on the Yamaha, but so is the General. I might look at buying one or the other at some point, well after I win the lottery of course.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Polaris had issues with the front diff pinion cover and reverse drive chains, Can am's rear diff can be a issue but they supposedly fixed that with xmr's getting stronger gears. With the power these big bores put out axles will break but if your smart with the throttle they will last. I love my can am, hits hard and keeps pulling, suspension with fox shocks is light years ahead of my brute force.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same here. Comparing prices it always seemed you get more for you money with a Kawie.
When you get into a UTVs; then you really hit accessory upsale hell.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Same here. Comparing prices it always seemed you get more for you money with a Kawie.
When you get into a UTVs; then you really hit accessory upsale hell.
Well that's the thing they don't come with anything that you need. You have to spend thousands on a bunch of stuff that it should come with from the factory and canam stuff is wayy overpriced for what it is. Only reason people buy canam is because they are paying for the name and they want the 1000 motor. I rode an outlander 1000 and I was not impressed at all. Glad to see they finaly have 4 wheel drive now and not 3 wheel drive. Still wont buy one though.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that's the thing they don't come with anything that you need. You have to spend thousands on a bunch of stuff that it should come with from the factory and canam stuff is wayy overpriced for what it is. Only reason people buy canam is because they are paying for the name and they want the 1000 motor. I rode an outlander 1000 and I was not impressed at all. Glad to see they finaly have 4 wheel drive now and not 3 wheel drive. Still wont buy one though.
I've ridden my buddy's 1000 several times. It's the only machine besides a Kawie that blows my hair back. It's scary fast.
I love the Rotax engines. Can Am made a very smart move buying them for their machines.
I also love their trailing arm rear suspensions. Nothing else in particular is special about a Can Am (except the price tag).

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I would look very seriously at Can Am if I were to buy a new ATV.
If I ride in a group of 10 riders here I'd be willing to bet that 6-7 would be Can Am, 2-3 Polaris and my Kawasaki. And maybe an occasional Honda or Suzuki.
None of my friends have bought a "lemon" or had and real problems with them.
My friend that had an 800 Max outperformed me everywhere, flat out, sand and snow - with Big Horns on it.
They didn't buy them because of the name on them. They bought them because if the reputation they have here and they like 2-up machines even though the never carry a passenger.
I really like my BF but other than the addition of a feed back system they are literally unchanged since 2012. I'd be buying the exact same machine with literally no improvements in over 8 years. Oh, they do come in different colors now.
And yes they have a lot of expensive options, like Polaris. What options and/or upgrades does Kawasaki offer??
I don't mean to dis on Kawasaki but they are doing nothing to keep up with the other manufactures or improve their product.
They make one ATV and can't spend any money on it. That's sad.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Brute, though long in the tooth, still has a lot going for it. The engine is quick and smooth, the ride is sporty, the clutches are tuned perfect and don't slam like Can Ams or Polaris, they are easy to work on, they have fantastic racks, they are reliable, they have the quickest locker in the bizz, they're lighter than any other big bore, they're very customizable, lots of available parts, and they sound awesome.
I would never ever feel outclassed riding a Brute among ANY other brand. In most cases, it would actually be just the opposite.

Reactions: rubiranch

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've ridden my buddy's 1000 several times. It's the only machine besides a Kawie that blows my hair back. It's scary fast.
I love the Rotax engines. Can Am made a very smart move buying them for their machines.
I also love their trailing arm rear suspensions. Nothing else in particular is special about a Can Am (except the price tag).
This topic has been beat to death I really shouldnt have said anything haha

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
This topic has been beat to death I really shouldnt have said anything haha
LOL Sure you should. We like it. :)

I like my BF, a lot. And I've never felt outclassed - just outrun. :ROFLMAO:

Back when I had my Honda I swore that's all I would ever own, just like the Ford truck I hauled it in at the time.

Then I rode other ATVs and bought something different, same with the truck. Now ride a Kawasaki and drive a Chevy truck. Both were great decisions.

I'd be open to a different ATV. I've driven the newer Fords and would most likely end up with another Chevy and I will never own a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram product. That you can bet on. ;)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll try anything once. But I know there's stuff about an Outlander that would drive me nuts.
There's other stuff about them that I would like.
Is there enough about them I like better than what I've already got? No. Not for 10 G's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts