Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I'll try anything once. But I know there's stuff about an Outlander that would drive me nuts.
There's other stuff about them that I would like.
Is there enough about them I like better than what I've already got? No. Not for 10 G's.

·
Registered
990 Posts
LOL Sure you should. We like it. :)

I like my BF, a lot. And I've never felt outclassed - just outrun. :ROFLMAO:

Back when I had my Honda I swore that's all I would ever own, just like the Ford truck I hauled it in at the time.

Then I rode other ATVs and bought something different, same with the truck. Now ride a Kawasaki and drive a Chevy truck. Both were great decisions.

I'd be open to a different ATV. I've driven the newer Fords and would most likely end up with another Chevy and I will never own a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram product. That you can bet on. ;)
Dodge are nice looking trucks but I've never buy one

·
Registered
990 Posts
I'll try anything once. But I know there's stuff about an Outlander that would drive me nuts.
There's other stuff about them that I would like.
Is there enough about them I like better than what I've already got? No. Not for 10 G's.
I'd never get used to not having a right brake lever that would just kill me every time

Reactions: kickstart

·
Registered
655 Posts
Ya, the Canam's are pricey, but if I was going to buy a new ATV, I'd buy a Canam XT 850. Like you guys have said, Kawie is doing nothing to keep up with the pack, and the Brute is seriously dated. To be honest, why would you buy a new Brute 750? They have changed nothing for at least a decade. I love my Brute. Vtwin torque up the wazoo, tougher than boiled bat crap, not too heavy, and with the HMF exhaust, it sounds mean. But my buddy's Canam 850 will eat the Brute in a flat out race, rides better, and is ergonomically nicer to ride. If Kawie wanted to actually be in the game, they need a complete makeover starting with an 850 (or 900) engine, go back to Gen1 plastics (the front of my '06 looks WAY better than the newer ones), electronic locking front diff, a PARK position in the tranny, and updated suspension would be a good start. Throw in heated grips and seat, large digital dash with coolant temp, oil temp, GPS and other electronic goodies and you might have a winner.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Ya, the Canam's are pricey, but if I was going to buy a new ATV, I'd buy a Canam XT 850. Like you guys have said, Kawie is doing nothing to keep up with the pack, and the Brute is seriously dated. To be honest, why would you buy a new Brute 750? They have changed nothing for at least a decade. I love my Brute. Vtwin torque up the wazoo, tougher than boiled bat crap, not too heavy, and with the HMF exhaust, it sounds mean. But my buddy's Canam 850 will eat the Brute in a flat out race, rides better, and is ergonomically nicer to ride. If Kawie wanted to actually be in the game, they need a complete makeover starting with an 850 (or 900) engine, go back to Gen1 plastics (the front of my '06 looks WAY better than the newer ones), electronic locking front diff, a PARK position in the tranny, and updated suspension would be a good start. Throw in heated grips and seat, large digital dash with coolant temp, oil temp, GPS and other electronic goodies and you might have a winner.
I don't want an electronic diff lock, and I don't want a park position.
I do want a redesigned front end look, and I would like a trailing arm rear suspension or a solid axle. And of course, an 800 out of the Teryx or a 1000 out of the KRX1000 would be awesome.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts

I rode a new 2010 BF and didn't like it. Liked the power but not the ATV.

I rode a new 2012 BF LE for a few days and loved it so.......

I bought a new one in 2014.
It looks a lot better without those gaudy stickers. ;)

I really disliked that little yellow lever but a Pen Lock from High Lifter fixed that.
My friends Suzuki engages a rev-limiter when you lock the front diff. That sucks. I don't know if other manufactures do that or not.

I rode Doug's new 2016 BF and it felt peppier than mine. At least better throttle response.

The first Can Am I rode was actually a Bombardier 800 Max back in 2011. I was very impressed.
Doug was riding a new Polaris 550 XP.

Other than a stator and a fuel pump mine has really been trouble free. I'm sitting at 11,500 miles and it runs like a million bucks. I even hit 65 mph today coming back from a short ride. Not sure its ever hit 65 mph before.
I'm just not so sure I'd spend another $10,000+ to buy a new of what I already have.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Ya, the Canam's are pricey, but if I was going to buy a new ATV, I'd buy a Canam XT 850.
The 850 is actually the last engine in their lineup that I would buy besides the single 450, and here's why:
It's the most powerful engine they make while retaining the higher gearing of the smaller engines. You are putting 78 hp through gears and clutching that is used in the 450 and 570 with much less power. The 1000 has gearing more matched to the kind of power their two biggest engines make.
Also, with a 1000, you get their throttle by wire system which gives you the option of throttle modes. They do not offer that on the 850.

If I wasn't going all out and getting the 1000 (and that's kinda what people buy Can Ams for in the first place isn't it?), I would opt for the 650. It's got ample power and is smoother, more quiet, and gets amazing mpg. It's a sweetheart. Even the DT guys (who are CA fanatics) say it's their favorite engine in their lineup.

The 570's also hold some attraction for me. Mostly because they are in the smaller and lighter machine, but they also have quite a bit of power for their size.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
While I'm doing a thread about Can Ams getting more attractive as time goes on, I'll add that they also hit two more marks for me recently besides the new locker. First is they made them 2 inches wider last year (?), and that is said to really help the overall feel of stability.
The second thing they did was add a sway bar to the front end. It's said to really help keep the body flat going through the corners.
Both of these improvements are only on the 650's and up though.😥

I wish I knew someone with a 2020+ to try. Lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
^The 2019+ can ams really ride and handle much better then the pre 2019s. My buddy has 2020 850 max xt that he got over the summer after having a 2017 650 max xt. The 850 rides and handles quite a bit better. He actually like the itc throttle too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
^The 2019+ can ams really ride and handle much better then the pre 2019s. My buddy has 2020 850 max xt that he got over the summer after having a 2017 650 max xt. The 850 rides and handles quite a bit better. He actually like the itc throttle too.
My buddy has a ‘20 850 XT max as well. He loves it. Buckets of power, rides like a dream and is very ergonomically comfortable. I know how he rides, and if it’s tough enough to take what he’s throwing at it, it must be pretty damn tough! That, or we’re just getting old!LOL!

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm just not so sure I'd spend another $10,000+ to buy a new of what I already have.
Maybe a set of Elkas for the Brute would be fun?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
T I would opt for the 650. It's got ample power and is smoother, more quiet, and gets amazing mpg. It's a sweetheart. Even the DT guys (who are CA fanatics) say it's their favorite engine in their lineup.

The 570's also hold some attraction for me. Mostly because they are in the smaller and lighter machine, but they also have quite a bit of power for their size.
Most of my friends that have a Can Am have a 650 Max and really like them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts