Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Well, found the reason it was smoking the blues again....

Honestly, DON'T EVER USE OEM VALVE SEALS. THEY SUCK. This is the third set of them that has leaked. Do yourself a huge favor and get Kibblewhite Viton seals. They don't leak a drop.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Kawasaki was not too smart putting a piece of shit $4 fan breaker in these machines to protect a $3500 engine!

Back in March 2019 my two year old $196,000.00 Pisten Bully snowcat quit moving forward or backward at 10:30 at night while trying to clear this drift due to a $27.00 rocker switch.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Back in March 2019 my two year old $196,000.00 Pisten Bully snowcat quit moving forward or backward at 10:30 at night while trying to clear this drift due to a $27.00 rocker switch.
Yikes! That's terrible. How did you get out of that predicament? Up in those conditions, things can get life threatening.😬

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yikes! That's terrible. How did you get out of that predicament? Up in those conditions, things can get life threatening.😬
I had enough of a signal that I could text and one of the guys who works in the main shop in SLC and he helped me diagnose the problem. Then I removed the switch, opened it up and jumped it and headed back out. Now I carry a spare one. Having spare should keep it from ever happening again. LOL

There's a police radio in the cat. When I head out I get ahold of dispatch, tell them where I am, where I'm going and what time I should be back off the mountain. If I don't check back in at the designated time they give me 30 minutes and try to reach me. If they can't contact me they notify the search & rescue and they come looking for me.

I carry a big plastic tub on the back of the cat that has lots of survival gear in it like a Mr Heater, Carhartt bib overalls, gloves and a sleeping bag good for below zero.

They pretty well have things all figured out it there's ever a problem.

PS, sorry you're having issues with your machine. :(

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had enough of a signal that I could text and one of the guys who works in the main shop in SLC and he helped me diagnose the problem. Then I removed the switch, opened it up and jumped it and headed back out. Now I carry a spare one. Having spare should keep it from ever happening again. LOL

There's a police radio in the cat. When I head out I get ahold of dispatch, tell them where I am, where I'm going and what time I should be back off the mountain. If I don't check back in at the designated time they give me 30 minutes and try to reach me. If they can't contact me they notify the search & rescue and they come looking for me.

I carry a big plastic tub on the back of the cat that has lots of survival gear in it like a Mr Heater, Carhartt bib overalls, gloves and a sleeping bag good for below zero.

They pretty well have things all figured out it there's ever a problem.

PS, sorry you're having issues with your machine. :(
Thanks, Kenny. I really hate my fan breaker and my bad valve seals right now.

That's awesome you are well prepared. Sounds like they take good care of you. Hopefully we'll get some snow this year so you can do some grooming. Last year was rough.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks, Kenny. I really hate my fan breaker and my bad valve seals right now.

That's awesome you are well prepared. Sounds like they take good care of you. Hopefully we'll get some snow this year so you can do some grooming. Last year was rough.
I never got out even once. :(

Hope everything goes back together 110% so you can get back out there.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Well this just keeps getting better and better. I finally got all the new chains and valves and valve seals installed. Put it all together and let the rtv cure overnight. Fired it up this morning and it squirts coolant all over the place. Clean it all off and see it's coming from the front water pipe right where it goes into the head. Drained it all, took the carbs off, and pulled the pipe. It had a barely noticeable rip in the .68 cent oring. It looked like a special o ring with flats around the inner and outer diameter, so I run down to Rmatv to get the OEM oring. Turned out, it's just a regular 16mm oring. Nothing special. Mine was just old and flattened. Well, after that, I got home and put the oring in, filled it with coolant for the 4th time in 2 months, and fired it up. Ran good with no more green crap squirting in my eyes, but I noticed a bit of a flat spot at 50 mph. Pulled it back in the garage, turned off the lights, and put a light under the exhaust. I couldn't see any smoke on throttle, but it would puff ever so slightly letting off the throttle. #^!
So I break out the compression tester, and the front had 65 psi. Ok. Not quite what it was 1500 miles ago, but acceptable. Then I check the rear. The brand new rear piston with brand new valves, seats, guides, and seals. It came up 40 psi. Double *$^#!!!!! So the smoke on decel, the flat spot at 50mph, and the low compression all lead me to believe the rings got toasted.
So, Mean Green is going in the storage unit for awhile, and Old Blue is going hunting with me. She's only got one cylinder, but she runs all day on a teaspoon of gas, and she doesn't burn a drop of oil.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Jeez Kickstart. Reading this post is like one of those old school horror flicks where it just gets worse and worse. A full rebuild is big $$$,s so I can understand your wanting to put her away for a few months to accumulate parts. Sounds like she won't be a 732 much longer though!! Go bigger!!!

Reactions: kickstart

·
Super Moderator
4,470 Posts
I'm sure you re-checked the valve lash and timing. Hard to believe the rings are toast already just from a little heat. Maybe it broke one. Drop a bore scope inside and look for marks like this on the cylinder:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm sure you re-checked the valve lash and timing. Hard to believe the rings are toast already just from a little heat. Maybe it broke one. Drop a bore scope inside and look for marks like this on the cylinder:

I looked at both cylinders while the heads were off and doing chains. The cylinders still had good cross Hatch that I could feel with my fingernail. I didn't see any scratches. But what else could it be? It has to be rings or cylinders at this point because the top is all new, and what crud was on top of the piston didn't come from above this time. Valves were clean and dry.

·
Super Moderator
4,470 Posts
I looked at both cylinders while the heads were off and doing chains. The cylinders still had good cross Hatch that I could feel with my fingernail. I didn't see any scratches. But what else could it be? It has to be rings or cylinders at this point because the top is all new, and what crud was on top of the piston didn't come from above this time. Valves were clean and dry.
Maybe do a leak-down to be sure.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I checked the compression after putting in the new piston and break in in August. It said 74 psi. It overheats and suddenly it's at 40 psi, along with a chain that's destroyed, and valves/seats that were so bad that all new ones had to be installed. That thing ought to be back in the 70's again. The only thing that I didn't replace this week on the whole thing was the rings.

·
Super Moderator
4,470 Posts
Ring gaps were at or above their minimum? No ridge? So new...just looking for a reason. Heat expands everything. Overheating takes it even farther...

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
For years cars were built to last between 5-7000 running hours and then they were done. I remember when 100,000 miles on a car was amazing but it was worn out. I'm not saying your ATV is worn out its just with the mileage it just wont ever be as dependable as it once was.
I wonder how many hours ATVs were engineered to run? You know as well as I do there are very few ATVs with the kind of mileage you have on yours.
My friend with the CanAm 800 Max was well into the 24,000+ mileage and it started having a few issues with it so he bought a new one. Problem solved.
You ride WAY TOO MUCH to not be able to start go and be worry free.
Keep your current one and do a complete "restoration" while riding a new one.
When I bought my BF I'd tell Doug, "well I don't like this and this and this.........."
He'd always tell me, "you'll get used to it". And you know what?? I did. :ROFLMAO:
That Candy Steel Furnace Orange 750i EPS has kickstart written all over it. (y);)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think Kenny's on to something. Park the old girl, go down and get that new Brute..you know you were going to anyway...put some better tires on it.. and go. :)
Besides the black wheels I do like the orange. If I was going to get a new one id get the orange

21 - 37 of 37 Posts