Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well, the machine shop said the cylinder is good (.002") at the top and bottom of the stroke, but has .005" clearance right in the middle.
How does that even happen? They don't know. I don't know. We're guessing the heat did it, but exactly how is beyond us.
Anybody ever heard of this before?
These are cast iron cylinder sleeves that were bored straight in August. Now they are a whiskey barrel shape. Wtf?

The piston is still good at least. Don't need a new one, but I do need a new sleeve or used cylinder. I think a sleeve would be cheaper in the long run, but where do I get one?

·
Super Moderator
4,501 Posts
Be sure to check the ring groove's side and depth as well as end gap. Did the shop say if the cylinder was also slightly out of round in the middle? And I am assuming by middle they mean the center of the stroke not the center of the sleeve.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Be sure to check the ring groove's side and depth as well as end gap. Did the shop say if the cylinder was also slightly out of round in the middle? And I am assuming by middle they mean the center of the stroke not the center of the sleeve.
They measured the cylinder walls and said the part of the cylinder where the piston is in the middle of the stroke is over 2x bigger than it should be. Wiseco calls for 2 thou clearance, and it has 2 thou at the top and bottom, but there's 5 thou right in the middle.

They looked at the piston and said it was ok.

The rings were worn pretty bad, but I've got new ones already.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts