Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I just bought a used Kawasaki KVF 360. It starts up fine, but when I try to put it in drive or reverse there is a grinding sound and will not enter the gear.

If I enter gear first and then hit the starter, it will jump forward like a manual transmission that doesn't disengage clutch, but this is a belt drive auto.

The engine brake lever seems to be working, but could it be something to do with that?

Thanks in advance,

Raphael

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Did it work correctly when you first bought it?
Did you just put a new belt on it?
Is the idle speed too fast? Try slowing it down.
If the engine brake is keeping the forks in, it will cause this. You can remove the CVT cover (leave the plugs hooked up) and start the machine to see if it still tries to roll ahead.
Unfortunately the 360 has a tendency to beat the clutch to death, so there's a chance that the clutch could be badly worn/broken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for my delay in response.

It didn't work when I bought it, I just bought it at an auction.

I didnt put a new belt and the one that's there doesn't look too good it has some cracks on it.

Idle speed is ok, I even tried bringing it right down, no luck.

I ran it with the cover removed, and the connectors connected. The fork doesn't move until you turn the key off, then it comes in and goes back.

At idle speed I see the driven pulley also turning. Is that normal? Shouldn't it disengage?

Also, by clutch do you mean the converter (centrifugal mechanism)? The converter looks like it's always on. Could it be that the spring inside it is broken?

Thanks

Raphael.

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Did it work correctly when you first bought it?
Did you just put a new belt on it?
Is the idle speed too fast? Try slowing it down.
If the engine brake is keeping the forks in, it will cause this. You can remove the CVT cover (leave the plugs hooked up) and start the machine to see if it still tries to roll ahead.
Unfortunately the 360 has a tendency to beat the clutch to death, so there's a chance that the clutch could be badly worn/broken.
Thanks for the quick reply, sorry for my delay in response.

It didn't work when I bought it, I just bought it at an auction.

I didnt put a new belt and the one that's there doesn't look too good it has some cracks on it.

Idle speed is ok, I even tried bringing it right down, no luck.

I ran it with the cover removed, and the connectors connected. The fork doesn't move until you turn the key off, then it comes in and goes back.

At idle speed I see the driven pulley also turning. Is that normal? Shouldn't it disengage?

Also, by clutch do you mean the converter (centrifugal mechanism)? The converter looks like it's always on. Could it be that the spring inside it is broken?

Thanks

Raphael.
The driven pulley will rotate in neutral.
As above; did you put it in gear with the cover off to see if it still rolls ahead?
The belt is absolutely shot.
The spring could be broken.
See if the clutch clears the belt when the engine is shut off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with the cover off, the gear (forward and reverse) just makes a grinding sound and doesn't go in. (like a car does when you don't press the clutch).

If you put it in forward with the engine off, then you can hit the starter and it will jump forward and run fine. Will stall when you come to a stop though. Also it has to be moving to start from forward gear.

I will have to check again in the morning to see if I can rotate one pulley without turning the other pulley when the engine is shut off.

I will post back here as soon as I check,

Thanks for the help,

Raphael.

PS: If a part needs replacing, are there after-market parts available for these, or do I have to go to the dealer. (Ex a new belt etc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kawasaki 360 Gear

I have a 2003 Kawasaki 360 that is doing the same thing, can't
shift into gear. Did you find and fix your problem?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have one that is doing this the clutch weights are wore out and getting stuck I the spider on the clutch,the weight bushing need replacing and one broke roller and weight was sticking to it,

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
that what i think, if it does it with the cover removed something on the primary clutch is messed up making it so it doesnt release all the way

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2005 kawasaki 360 prairie will not go in gear does not grind not go in reverse was working fine day before

·
Super Moderator
12,654 Posts
Make sure the belt didn't break.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep belt was broke, it was only 15 years old, glad I was close to camp, I know its been 15 years but only use it maybe 10 to 15 times a year, guess they just get old sitting there, thanks for answering .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joking about just 15 years old, I got my money's worth out of that belt. Just have small right axle seal on back right leaking a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one that is doing this the clutch weights are wore out and getting stuck I the spider on the clutch,the weight bushing need replacing and one broke roller and weight was sticking to it,
Did you find the replacement parts where can I get them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep belt was broke, it was only 15 years old, glad I was close to camp, I know its been 15 years but only use it maybe 10 to 15 times a year, guess they just get old sitting there, thanks for answering .
I have a 2003 Prairie. When I put it into gear I can hear the gears grind a little, then when I give it some gas nothing happens. I suspect the belt but not sure. Any comments?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts