Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how would it blow the cdi. capacitor discharge ignition is not a computer. i know i just joined this community but if all y’all are just debby doubters don’t answer my thread i dont have time for that non sense. that kind of thinking would never got thevwright brothers off the ground

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
how would it blow the cdi. capacitor discharge ignition is not a computer. i know i just joined this community but if all y’all are just debby doubters don’t answer my thread i dont have time for that non sense. that kind of thinking would never got thevwright brothers off the ground
Then try it. Let us know how it worked out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
NM's response is based off apparently far more knowledge than you have. It comes from years of hands on and a well educated response to your question. So be a "donny do'er" and smoke a $1000 worth of electrics and let us know how decades of experiance worked out for you ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
You both can go get bent
I just meant that depending on the voltage of the discharge, a coil will require different amps to charge. I was only guessing that the car coil would take more then a little motorcycle coil...and the electronics in the CDI may not be able to handle that. You are obviously more then welcome to try it for yourself if you wish. For me...and most of us here, we would rather not risk a CDI or ECM over a coil choice. That's all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now you want to answer the question. i don’t care how long you have been working on these bikes. answers like just buy the right part is not an answer. if you look thru threads on this forum you will see where someone else mentioned it this is why i joined. not to have someone tell me it’ll blow your cdi without telling me why. and maybe i should have said a12v non resistor coil. but most coils from the 70s where.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heres the post that i am referring to
blm510
·Registered
Joined Oct 19, 2010
·
171 Posts
#4 · Apr 23, 2013

the IC box is inthe back behind the Battery the Rectofier is next to the battery and has cooling fins . also check the coil for spark as for not turning over check the power on the (+) power on the starter and solonid when you push the starter button . also a 12v non resister auto coil works real well I put them on both of my Bayou's.

B

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Understood. Amazon Prime often gets stuff here overnight. Not the best place to buy Kawi parts, perhaps, but sure is fast and is often inexpensive.

A riding mower to an ATV event??? How did that work out? VERY curious!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
amazon prime doesn’t do overnight where im at i tried my uncle tried. the earliest was fri for me and following tuesday for him. the event was deer camp. i made some folks laugh but it worked. and my old mower does have a kawasaki engine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not on a Kawasaki, but I have done this in the past. It can get you out of a bind but you really shouldn't leave it on there.

Not only is the primary windings a different resistance, but so are the secondary. With the resistances being off it makes the CDI work harder, Meaning electronics get hotter, burn up faster.
On the secondary side, with a hotter spark, can the spark plug handle it? Or will it burn up the plug and even worse could burn a hole in the piston if too hot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts