Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done doing my build and swapping motors in both of my V's but I ran across something that I can remember how it goes.

There are two small vent lines that attach to the lower side of the front of the airbox. Once has a plug in the end and the other doesn't. Which one goes on which port on the airbox? One port is just a regular plastic nipple and the other one has a slot in the side of the nipple and a ring around it on the bottom of the airbox.

Could someone please check out theirs and let me know? I want to make sure these things are vented correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Twyztid,my plugged line is on the right and the open is on the left as your sitting on the bike

·
Registered
733 Posts
Both of mine are just hanging on the right side of the engine not connected to anything else.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twyztid,my plugged line is on the right and the open is on the left as your sitting on the bike
Are you referring to the position they are hanging or the place they are attached on the underside of the airbox? Have they ever been messed with? I just don't want to end up with it backwards because someone else had theirs on wrong too. :lol:

I mainly want to know if the plugged one goes on the plain nipple on the bottom of the airbox or the one that has the slot in the side of the nipple and the raised ring around it.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I'm referring to the place they are attached to the air box!

No! The only person that works on this bike is me (because I don't trust anybody around here):lol: and I don't take those hoses off. They come off with my air box. And I've had it off 3 times this year

I just got every thing back together and don't want to take it apart again just to look. I did stick my hand up there and trace the hoses for you and thats the way they are but, maybe some one else can chime in to confirm.

I can tell you they are right though. Just trying to help:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Twyz. if you go into the shop manual that you can look at or down load, this is located in the above stickys., there is a exploded view of the air box and those vent lines on page 3.4 your asking about. The plugged one is to the right and open one is to the left as your sitting on the quad.B)

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twyz. if you go into the shop manual that you can look at or down load, this is located in the above stickys., there is a exploded view of the air box and those vent lines on page 3.4 your asking about. The plugged one is to the right and open one is to the left as your sitting on the quad.B)
OK, thanks. I have the manual but haven't looked yet. Sometimes things like that can be very hard to find what you are looking for in that thing. It's got WAY too many pages. :lol:

I just looked at that page (should've looked there in the first place) and I think I have mine backwards.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
The open one needs to be on the carb vent, The plugged one looks like some kind of drain.:cool:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
KawiRiders is PRICELESS...
I pulled my airbox off to check the A/F screw settings...
ended up ruining the carbs cause they were seized/stripped...
just picked up a set of carbs off SpeedForce...
so i went out to get the airbox and clean it because I overoiled the filter...
I thought about this thread...
so I checked out the nipples/tubes on the bottom of the airbox that twyztid was referring to...
guess what?
the smooth one on the right is broken off flush with the botom of the airbox!!!:eek:
I NEVER SAW IT!:confused:
I've been running with a 1/4" UNFILTERED hole in the airbox for 3 weeks!!!:cry:
I have prolly run 3 tanks of gas thru it since the rebuild...
I have no idea how far that is, but it's not good.
1 tank was all during the snow...
2 tanks on my farm...not too dusty due to alot of rain ...
do you guys think I should pull it apart, and check for cylinder scoring...
or am I overreacting, and should thank my lucky stars I found it so soon.?

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
check your intake boots for any grit, if they look fine I wouldn't worry about it.

But get it fixed before any more rides

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I did't see any grit anywhere...butterflies, boots, nothin...:clap:
Yeah, the airbox is in the dishwaser now....gettin all nice an shiny...:hehe:
I'll patch it up tomorrow...
after my A$$ stops stingin from the whoopin the wifees gonna give me:bash:

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dishwasher??? :lol: Hmmm.... never thought of that. :D

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Yep!!! I do it all the time...aluminum comes up almost new!!!
When I did my rebuild I ran ALL the parts thru at least once...
some had to be done twice to get the inside/outside...
I usually do the outside first so the inside...which usually holds water like a bucket is done last...
nice and clean so I know no dust or micron size particles to damage my hard work.
also I KNOW no oil or grease on the gasket mating surfaces.
BE WARNED ...if your dishwasher is WHITE on the inside...
it will stain it GREY and smell like an engine for a while...
the dishes don't smell and still get clean...
but the dishwasher will take a while to lose the stains...
Ed3

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
am I overreacting, and should thank my lucky stars I found it so soon.?
I don't think you need to pull it apart either. If it is the carb vent I would replace the box or for now seal the hole and let the carbs vent into the air box.

If it is the air box drain I would just seal up the hole and possible use a screw in vavle stem (for a tire) facing down. That way if you roll into a creek or whatever you can drain it before starting it back up. If you do this you remove the core and use a chrome cap with a gasket to seal it. I have done this before with belt drives that go underwater for hours it works great.

The open one needs to be on the carb vent, The plugged one looks like some kind of drain.:cool:

yep that's it. The plug is incase you get water or whatever in the air box.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Excellent idea on the valve stem!!!!
I was going to seal it up with some silicone...
but that is very clever and functional...
thanks for the idea!!!
I have some rubber ones...do you think one of them will be ok?
I'll just enlarge the hole to just under the correct size with a unibit and pop one in.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent idea on the valve stem!!!!
I was going to seal it up with some silicone...
but that is very clever and functional...
thanks for the idea!!!
I have some rubber ones...do you think one of them will be ok?
I'll just enlarge the hole to just under the correct size with a unibit and pop one in.
You need a .453" hole (29/64") for a standard rubber valve stem. That is the size of the hole in wheels that use that size valve stem.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Twyz...thanks for posting up..but arent there a couple sizes?
I'm pretty sure I have at least two different diameters in my tire repair box-o-stuff:unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The smaller one for car tires & atv wheels & stuff is the .453". The larger valve stem hole size for some older trucks and off-road equipment is .625".

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Yep it'll work just fine. I remember those big ole stems off the old Ford rims.

It reminds me when we would get a "new guy" in the shop. We would re route the air hose on the tire machine to a anti-freeze jug. Then put it in the garbage can right next to the tire machine. The new guy would grab the hose and try to air up a tire and before he could realize what was going on BOOM! He would blow up the anti-freeze jug! Funny from the first time till I quit 5 years later! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
:notworthy:
THAT'S funny $hit right there!!!!
Gotta do that to my uncle the next time were airing up a new 11R22.5...
EVERYTIME we do one I have to hear the SAME horror stories...bla, bla, bla...
I know it's dangerous...but EVERYTIME...alrightalready...
This is gonna be priceless...:eek::lol::lol::lol:...
He'll definetly $hitt himself!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts