Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have finally worked through the problems of this Bayou that I bought on e-bay for my daughter for Christmas. I did finally have to take it to the dealer to try and get it running right. (idle problems). The dealer drilled out the jet, but tells me that the carb is really worn out, needing a new one. They quoted me 372.00 for it. I am feeling as though I should have bought a new ATV after spending so much on this one, but any advise? It starts, idles, runs great when cold, but the hotter it gets, the faster it idles. Still runs good, but sounds like its idling at 2K+ rpm.

·
Super Moderator
12,615 Posts
Sounds more like the choke is slightly open or stuck open to me.

I don't think you can wear a carb out.
Throttle shafts wear out, slides wear out, even the fuel passages/circuits through the carb can become enlarged over time from fuel flowing through them.

I would check the choke like Hunterworks said.

I don't know what jet they could have drilled that would have any effect on the idle speed; the idle/pilot jet is far too small to put a drill bit through.

I would check anything related to air flow; intake boot, gaskets, check for any vacuum leaks. Can you turn the idle speed down after it warms up, or does it run out of adjustment?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere and the dealer tried to compensate for it by richening it up .Probably what they were talking about was the throttle shaft.The main body wears from the throttle shaft turning back and forth.Check around they might make a rebuild kit that comes with new bushings for the body.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The choke works great when it is cold. It even idles correct when it is first started, and even after warm up, and the choke is released. It is just after riding it for 20-30 mins, the idle just keeps getting higher until it is idling at 2-3k rpm. I have had the carb apart, and it does not have a butterfly or throttle bushings. It appears that the slide is the only thing that moves as the throttle is worked. All I know is that it had a very erratic idle when I took it to the dealer, wouldn't stay running. Now it stays running, runs great, but just hard to stomach the 372 dollars for a cab that isn't as big as a small can of soup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts